Stator needs to be plugged in to start? 96xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just my ski or is it the nature of this model?
I have a new to me 96xp. I was checking all connections, putting dielectric grease in places it needs to be, priming the oil lines.

When I went to start it to prime, nothing.
The dess was clean, battery charged, all fuses good. Only thing was the magneto/stator plug was not plugged in. I could push the start button and hold it and could run the vts. No lights on the gauge or starter.

Is it just my ski, or is this normal?

Good to know. That cord from the e box to the mag housing is dang short! Can't move or open the box without unplugging it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense. I haven't printed out the wiring system yet, but it did fire up and oil system fully charged and working with new xps2

That model also has a little black ground wire from the electrical box next to the battery that is easy to miss and must be connected to the battery as well.

Yep. I just got the ski for 250.00. No carbs, but great compression. Tested at 155 each cylinder. Also got a 96 gsx same price.
I decided to get the xp going first, cause this will be my ski. I pulled the gas and oil tanks out and all the oil tubing and filter. Had a green colored oil, definitely wasn't blue. I even poured some blue oil on a towel next to the green just to verify. Drained all the oil from the rv chamber and put all new oil lines in. Filled the tank with xps2 enough to flush the rv chamber with the new clean oil. Once that was done, the oil to the pump had filled up the filter and I could bleed the pump. New oil was immediately present, so I let it run out for a second.
Put the dessert on and cranked the engine in short 5 second bursts till I seen the new oil surface in the new lines till just over the mag cover. Good, pump working, rv chamber clean, pump bled. Move on to carbs.
Rebuilt a set I pulled off a 97 gtx parts ski. Bolted those up and hooked up return line and pulse line. Not supply, I still need to address supply line filters. All fuel lines have been replaced by po.

I decided to grease and clean the major plugs, as a piece of mind thing.
Well, can't open e box without unplugging the stator plug. Did that, cleaned and dielectric grease on most plugs, some were perfectly good, but checked anyhow.

Closed box up, reset in holder. Start time!
Sprayed premix to start and finish the oil line prime, dess on, nothing.
Hooked up stator plug, fired up.
That's where I left off. Oh, small lines filled up after about 3 starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back