Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey everyone,
We have been trying to diagnosis the issues with our 1996 seadoo challenger. We are new to the boat world so its starting to become super discouraging.
We been out twice and both times it died engie on the lake. We pulled the plugs tried to start it nothing came out so i don't think we hyperlocked it ( or could we have). With the plugs out and the PTO cover off when hitting the start it seems it wants to start but it is struggling, the PTO won't fully turn by hand but did turn when trying to start it. We bought a new battery still getting no start (two beeps from the DESS so we know its ready to be started), we have pulled the starter and bench tested it - it worked... i'm startin to think this is bigger project than we expected, or should i get a new starter installed and hope that's all. Im really worried we seized something

Last edited:
Well it’s not seized if it’s turning over. Is it hard to turn by hand with the plugs out as well, or just with them in? It should turn fairly easily with them removed...

If it turns smoothly with the plugs out, you’ve probably got a weak starter. Don’t replace it, just pick up a rebuild kit and replace the brushes. It’s about $20 and they last much longer than aftermarket starters.

If it’s difficult to turn by hand with the plugs out, you need to pull the pump and try it. That will tell you whether the resistance is in the pump or the engine.

With the plugs out its not moving freely, only time it as moving when we hit the start and it would hesitate but not fully turn on. Pull the pumps? sorry new to this whole boat thing!!

So you have something binding up. You need to disconnect the engine from the jet pump itself so that you can see whether the engine is binding up or the jet pump is binding... The pump is not terribly difficult to remove, and if the boat is new to you, it will be a good opportunity to inspect your wear ring and impeller and change the pump oil as well...

Sounds like a project if the rain holds off. Honestly hoping that its just something stuck or not lining up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back