starting issues!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesave

I just recently bought 2 gtx 4tec s/c. after not having a seadoo for the last several years. used to know a lot but i was never a know it all. so, got the 1 ski that is driving me nuts. new battery,still clicking, new solenoid, starts sometimes, cleaned and checked starter cable and continuity is good. will always turn and start when jumping solenoid though so whats next guys? any thoughts?

soory, changed that too, the solenoid clicks as does the oil seperator solenoid only, if i jump the starter solenoid then it will go

i am on the 3rd new solenoid but just ordered an original brp one, (2 were aftermarket) checked all the fuses and used dielectric grease but maybe i should look again after all the wiggling, but again if it is jumpered she goes??

Either the fuse is loose or the relay in the fuse box is bad if all of the wiring checks out and you have replaced all of the items listed.

My manual for a RXT says the circuit goes through the relay, I assume they are similar wiring. Check the socket for damage also.

so must be one of the boxes on the pm board, that makes logical sense, will have to check, will keep you posted! and thanks!

Yeah yours is different than mine, on right the side of the fuse box there is a little box screwed to the side with a cable and plug hanging down, they call it an interrupter in the parts manual. Try unplugging it and see if the starting is totally dead after that, it may be this thing not making good contact inside. Other than that maybe a broken wire where the steering pivots??

That little box is a mercury rollover switch, you might be able to bypass it to try the circuit.

_If_ your solenoid is clicking every time you push the button then skip everything else except the solenoid and main battery cable to and from it. It's the final step in the process, it takes raw battery from the large input lug and sends raw battery to the starter. If it is clicking that final step should be complete period. If jumping it works every time and using the button makes it click every time but it doesn't crank then either the solenoid is crap or one of the lugs on the battery cable is crap on either side of the solenoid and you're moving it enough with the jumpers.. You need a meter or a light. Clip it to each of the large posts on the solenoid. You should see 12v (or light) because one side is hot to the battery and other side is nearly a perfect ground through the starter. If there isn't light/12v, main cables, connectors (or remote possibility starter) are at fault. Now assuming you have 12v or light present, press the button, if the solenoid clicks, that light or 12v goes away period because the solenoid shorts those two posts together. If still light, then it's right there

If the solenoid itself is clicking every time and it is new and connections and battery are good then probably the starter is pooched,

I was also going to mention the starter. I had a seadoo challenger boat with a mercury engine- same thing; new battery, new solenoid, new ignition and kill switch- alll I got was the solenoid clicking. if I hammered on the started, it would occasionally spin but not engage the flywheel- turned out the moisture in this damp new england air finally corroded the pinion assembly causing the pinion to hang up on the bendix thread- keeping it from engaging the flywheel- AND the motor brushes were corroded and not allowing good contact to the commutator. I replaced the starter and presto.

IMG_0290.JPG
Before you change the starter, stress test the battery. Let the battery sit overnight after a full charge. 8 hours then stress test.

Place a DOVM on the output side of the solenoid. Press and hold the start button, what does the DVOM say the voltage is?

It is sounding like, the solenoid may be working but it is not allowing all the voltage to pass through it.

He did say new battery and third new solenoid ??? Yes third !! which would lead me to believe the starter is dragging and overloading the solenoid which would overheat it and cause the problems. Testing the battery is a great idea first, if it checks out then get the starter out of there and get it checked.

Also, make sure the connections are clean on the battery and to/from solenoid. Dirty connector are resistors and cut down the amps to the starter.

thank you for all the advice, checked everything and i still get an occasional click. put it in the water and ran it for a while. The dam..thing has not clicked since and is starting. maybe a demon machine! lol! thanks again to all!

I had a similar intermittent no-start problem; it turned out to be a bad MPEM; the fwd AMP connector was loose on the MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back