starter turns over as soon as battery is connected?!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

poissonn

So a friend of mine got his X4 out of storage yesterday. His battery was low on juice so he decided to hook up his battery charger on the seadoo + and - cables directly without the battery :facepalm: He then said that the multi-gauge lights all started to blink and that the engine started to turn over without pressing the start button...

Now, as soon as he tries to hook up a battery, the starter engages and turn the engine over. Also, even with his key on the DESS post, it no more make the beep-beep sound. What did he mess up? MPEM?

Could just be your starter solenoid same thing happened to mine a few weeks ago. Minnetonka had one sent to me in no time and I was back on the water. If all fuses are good try unplugging solenoid and see what happends. Beeper could have just went bad. Im sure someone will chime in with part number from radio shack

When I first read the headline I thought the same thing as Tshaw about a stuck solenoid.
Then I read the post.

What concerns me is the fact he hooked the charger up with no battery.
What setting was the charger on....some have 2/10/50 amp settings, others may vary.

the problem may still be a stuck solenoid, try rapping it with a screwdriver or hammer and see what happens....report back your findings.

Beepers go bad, 4 options....a used one, a new OEM one about $60, a radio shack one (wont' fit exactly), or try floydbell.com. they make them for seadoo.....about half the price of a dealer.
See this thread......

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?46758-Beeper-replacement&p=296898&highlight=#post296898

It coudl be the solinoid... but he did a big no-no... and I'm going to guess the MPEM is done.

But... there is a very simple test............

pull the small plug on the solenoid, and if it DOES NOT crank... then the MPEM is bad, and is holding the solenoid closed.

IF... it's still cranking with the plug pulled... then the solenoid is stuck.

Oscar,

Ditto, I did it to my 96GTI long time ago, I bought a new MPEM from Riva Motorsports, I have the receipt hanging on the wall in my garage, as a reminder. Fried mine with a jump box.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it seems the MPEM works just fine! Plugged it in my '97 SPX and it started right up! The beeper works too in his ski because we got it to go in advanced diagnostic mode and it beeped one short/one long beep...But we only got it into diagnostic ONCE. After that, we were not able to do it again so...start/stop switch maybe? But that doesn't explain why it doesn't "beep beep" when you put the key on the DESS pole...something in the rear electrical box?

But would a non-working beeper prevent the engine from turning over when pressing on the start button? the gauges don't even light up when I press on the button without the lanyard attached. Seems like it could be a bad DESS post?

Last edited by a moderator:
With the key off, two presses of the dart button should power up the gauges. Even does this on my 95 non-dess gtx.

You should get two beeps when you connect a dess key. If you have a bad beeper you can use an analog voltmeter or wire up a small automotive bulb to make sure you're getting voltage at the beeper plug.

Well we tried his whole front & rear electrical box on my SPX and it fired right up. So that rules out his MPEM, ignition coil, CDI module, starter solenoid and every fuses. Btw, there was a bad fuse that needed replacement although it looked fine, that's why it was not beeping. So now we are able to crank the engine but we can't get any spark on his. seems like the trigger coil to me since all of his electronics were tested on my ski! Any ways to properly test the trigger coil before pulling the mag cover? i already checked the resistance and it was within spec. Is it normal for it to be open to ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back