start up of winterized gtx rfi's ??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelAD

i bought 2 skis. '98 & '01 SeaDoo gtx rfi's. 717 cc. they were both winterized at the marine shop where i bought them and had them shipped to where i live. just got them yesterday and i would like to hear them run. my questions are these, 1.) can i just simply put the key in and start them up for a few seconds ?
Or, 2.) do i have to hook them up to a garden hose run them for a few minutes if need be, and then go through all the winterizing steps again ??
Any suggestions ??

Yes....

Yes, they did have the 1998 GTX come out with RFI that year. But, it's powered by the 787cc, not the 717. This would be easy for you to confirm by looking at the top of the motor. Between the exhaust and cylinder, you'll see a black cap that has a red adjuster screw in the middle. Those are power valves.

If you start for just a couple of seconds, you might be o.k. If you do not hook up the water, the anti-freeze should be fine, you'll just blow out a little, which won't hurt anything. But, you can only run a few seconds. THen, at that you'll be burning off your fogging barrier between your component parts of the internals, bearings, cylinders rings, etc... which is meant to keep moisture from building up during storage.

So, if you do this for a couple seconds, have some kind of moisture barrier to put back in. You can spray through your plug holes by removing your spark plugs. You'll likely have one cylinder up and one down. So, rotate the engine by hand to transfer cylinder positions and spray again.

I use a spray on white Lithium grease, which you can buy from any auto parts store. It's what most mechanics use when rebuilding a motor to form a barrier and good start up, to protect bearings until lubrication is started. But, it will smoke a bit when you bring it out in spring.....:cheers:

Seadoosnipe,
Thnx for the advice. I will try starting them for just a few seconds just to make sure they run. Then respray the cylinders, remove the batteries to trickle charge them and cover the skis till the spring. If they start up right away, then I think it was a good find on e-bay and hopefully they will do just fine next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back