Sport Jet Power Head Break In

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverPro

Premium Member
Premium Member
As requested in another thread, here is Mercury's Sport Jet Break In procedure. Because the Sport Jet has no thermostat, intake water temps play a crucial role in a successful break in, the warmer-the better. Avoid breaking in in water temps below 50F. While on the trlr, avoid going from 5000 +/- rpms to idle. , if you must shut down during a break in, turn the key off, do not idle.

Step 1: First 40 minutes - Keep the boat on the trlr. Place the boat and trlr in water that is deep enough to submerge the water intake grate. Keep the bow attached and tight to the trlr, but remove or loosen the rear straps to allow the boat to float at the rear. Run the engine at the listed run time and at the RPM speed.

First 10 min @ 2500
Next 10 Min @ 3000
Next 5 Min @ 4000
Next 5 Min @ 4500
Next 5 Min @ 5000

Step 2: Next 14 minutes- Remove the boat from the trlr and run on the water. The run times for the first four WOT encounters are very critical. Keep the run time within the given range. Run the eng at the listed RPM speed.

(Opps, I failed to copy and paste step two, will do do after lunch) Edit test

Last edited by a moderator:
I have another method....

Step 1) Idel long enough to make sure water is flowing. (check over everything for leaks)

Step 2) Mash the throttle wide open until peak RPM (close to top speed) is reached.

Step 3) close throttle, and coast to a stop.

Step 4) shut down, and verify oil, fuel, cooling.

Step 5) Repeat steps 2 and 3 a few more times, and then enjoy the boat as normal.

Note: After that... avoid WOT and/or holding a set RPM, for long periods. Monitor pee-hole water temps for the first couple tanks of fuel.

While I can appreciate most OEM break-ins... they aren't the best for getting the rings set. With the exception of a little extra oil in the fuel... my toys get used in a "Normal" way from the initial ring setting.

Trouble posting / Sorry for the delay, I have tried multiple times to paste step two of Merc's breakin procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw your PM come in. I know the site was down... and normally before that happens... it gets goofy. Was there another prob?

I tried again this AM, however the site fails to load my word DOC copy and paste. I guess I'll hafta type it out.

Here is Mercury's recommended Sport Jet breakin procedure.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 48
Hey guys!

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I need to do this procedure this weekend, as I have a rebuilt powerhead in my 2004 Seadoo Utopia. Quick question, and sorry if this seems silly, but running the break in procedure on the trailer, even with the grate submerged, would the boat not take off or try and climb the trailer!?! I’m sorry but silly question, but I just assume that it would. If anyone can answer that, that would be great. I understand the procedure as follows ( Thanks RiverPro ):
Step 1: First 40 minutes - Keep the boat on the trlr. Place the boat and trlr in water that is deep enough to submerge the water intake grate. Keep the bow attached and tight to the trlr, but remove or loosen the rear straps to allow the boat to float at the rear. Run the engine at the listed run time and at the RPM speed.

First 10 min @ 2500
Next 10 Min @ 3000
Next 5 Min @ 4000
Next 5 Min @ 4500
Next 5 Min @ 5000

Step 2: Next 14 minutes- Remove the boat from the trlr and run on the water. The run times for the first four WOT encounters are very critical. Keep the run time within the given range. Run the eng at the listed RPM speed.

Second question, as it is a new motor, I drained my reserve and fuel at the end of last summer, and replaced it all this year. Does the oil system need to be primed? I did NOT drain the smaller reserve on the engine, only the large reserve, and cleaned out the tank. If the oil system needs to be primed / pressurized, does anyone have any advice on how to do that? I do have the Merc Manual for this engine, but couldn’t find a reference to doing so.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back