Speedster or Challenger????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rscs92

I recently bought an 08' Speedster 150. Been having a blast with it. Only down-side is I wish it was a little bigger. We have been looking to get a bigger SeaDoo like the Challenger. I have found 2 for sale that I will be going to look at (both are 05'). Can anyone tell me the positives and negatives to a Challenger? How does it compare to the Speedster other than the size? One guy says his is in excellent condition and has about 94 hours on it when he last took it in for service about two months ago. He said he has documentation on that. The other guy is pretty much saying the same exact thing. About 90 hours and in excellent condition. One is asking $16.9k the other is $16.5k. Your thoughts, advice, comments please.

It's significantly bigger.

The 150 is an over-sized jetski. (4 passenger) The 180 is a real boat. (7 passenger, drier ride, more storage, etc)

But... in '05 there is the 180, and the "X" which is a 20' boat with the merc engine. Since you didn't specify, it's hard to give any real info. BUT... you can also go on seadoo's website, and look at all the specs on the older boats.

So... before you make the upgrade... ask yourself.... do you want a "Big go-kart" or do you want "a car for the water"????

I'm not trying to sound bad here... but it's a very personal choice. I've had the small boats... and wanted more room. SO... I got A LOT more room, and a couple jetskis for the time I want to splash around, and get wet.

Thanks Dr Honda, sorry I didn't mention they are both the 180. I'm thinking the 180 is 17'7" and has the Rotax engine. So it gives me just a bit more room is what I'm looking for. Should I be concerned about the hours on the motor? Both nearing 100 hours, is that something I should be concerned about? Of course both guys are saying they have taken excellent care of the boats and have service records. One of the boats has NEVER been in salt water. Is 100 hours something that should factor in my decision?

They always say "Well taken care of". Would you buy it if they said... We pissed in the engine, just to see if it would run??? (LOL)

Anyway... the 180 is a nice boat. I've played with a bunch of them. 100 hrs is still very low. If either has the supercharged engine... then that will need a rebuild. AND... if it's never been done before... it will need immediate attention. The early SC had ceramic washers... and when they break... it will take out the engine. SO... ask if the washers have been changed to the steel versions. If they are non-supercharged... then disregard.

Salt water to me isn't a sticking point. If it's been maintained, then it's a moot point.

Anyway... I'm sure you will like a bigger boat, especially if you have friends with you all the time. But... it's a totally different ride from your 14'er.

i've got an '05 180 and I couldn't imagine having a smaller boat. I love the look and the fill of it also, but you're going to lose speed on the top end because you are most likely getting the 215 SC engine and you are pushing a bigger boat. 1 thing I wish was different is the lack of an hour guage on the insrtument panel. the guy I bought my boat from swore up and down that it only had 25 hours on it, I haven't had it scanned but I am pretty sure it was a lie, no worries though, it is still a great boat.

Dr. Honda, do you ever miss your old Sportster?

My Speedster is so low in the water, your right, its like a big jet ski, its one of the things that I really like about it. When Im doing a quick turn and riding a wave and the water hits me and all my passengers, everybody onboard is grinning. Its like a water ride..

Im also thinking of a bigger boat.. something I can relax in, walk through, lounge in the front of it, have like 7 on board.. Dont anybody flame me but I was considering the Yamaha sx190.. ouch.... remember, when I went shopping I went to look at both SX190's and Seadoo Challengers & Speedsters.... But I dont want to hijack the OP's thread.. a Seadoo Challenger is almost the same thing..

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Honda, do you ever miss your old Sportster?

Yes and no. I turn toys over all the time. And, since I have jetski's... I can still go out and get wet.

My Speedster is so low in the water, your right, its like a big jet ski, its one of the things that I really like about it. When Im doing a quick turn and riding a wave and the water hits me and all my passengers, everybody onboard is grinning. Its like a water ride..

This brings up a good point. If you aren't throwing it around, and treating it like a "PWC"... then you are missing the point of the little hulls.

But... when you want to use it as "A Boat"... then you wind up getting wet. (when you don't really want to be) AND... if you want to go out on a busy lake, or river... you just have to expect to get wet.

With that said... the 180 has a goofy dipped down nose... and I've seen them take water over the front too... but they generally will keep the passengers dry.

Im also thinking of a bigger boat.. something I can relax in, walk through, lounge in the front of it, have like 7 on board.. Dont anybody flame me but I was considering the Yamaha sx190.. ouch.... remember, when I went shopping I went to look at both SX190's and Seadoo Challengers & Speedsters.... But I dont want to hijack the OP's thread.. a Seadoo Challenger is almost the same thing..

Nothing wrong with the Yamaha boats. Since Seadoo got out of it... we have to look at those now.

Thanks everyone for their input, but here's what I have found. 2006 Challenger 180cs with 35 hours on it. Recently (April 2013) replaced impeller and wear ring along with a few other things that were fixed after they sucked up a rope in the jet pump. Asking $14.5k got him down to $13k. Has a Bimini top, boat cover. It is the supercharged motor other than that it's pretty much stock. I've been trying to do my research on this boat and I have read some good stories and some bad stories. It's kinda making me nervous about pulling the trigger on this deal. Does this year model have a bad rep? Or is it like anything else you buy, sometimes you just get a bad one? I would appreciate any input you SeaDoo experts could give me. Oh btw....what's the difference between the 180 and 180cs?

Thanks

I agree with the others. I went from the 16' speedster up to the 20' speedster. Even though it was only a 3 foot difference, the boat was literally twice the size. going from the 15 to the 18, im sure you will feel the same way. It really is a huge differencee. You do lose some agility and top speed, but its worth it in the end to have more space and be in something that feels more like a real boat. There are still days imiss the smaller boat though.It was so much fun and could do some crazy stuff.

As far as the 180, they are great boats. Ive got a couple friend with them and both are 2006 models. Both have had some similar issues, but nothing that was a huge ordeal. Just like any other boat, they will have problems. Just try to find one that was taken care of decently. Make sure to water test it and test everything out. The difference in the CS was just some creature comfort type stuff. It came with carpet, stereo remote, and the full wrap around windshield.

There's no real issue with that boat. But, the pre '08 superchargers have ceramic washers. If you buy it... the washers will need changed IMMEDIATELY. The original spec was 100hrs. But we've seen them fail as early as 20 hrs. When they shatter... it can kill the engine.

I drove a friends speedster for a season, loved it, went looking to buy one when I came across an '06 Challenger which I bought and have used (145 hrs) frequently. I live in a climate where it gets year round use, take it to Powell, Havasu etc all w/o problem. Only issue I faced was rebuiling the S/Charger at 100 hrs (changed from ceramic to s/steel washers at that time. The boat is big and roomy, lots of storage yet veryeasy to tow plus it fits in my garage which probably saves me $125 a month and keeps it out of the desert sun, dust and pack-rats. My only complaints on handling are it doesn't ride very smooth in chop, and it carries the bow so low that you have to be on watch for in-coming waves when you are idling along a no-wake...

Good luck and happy boating, John

Yep... I grew up in SoCal, and spent a lot of time sitting under the London Bridge on hot days. Havasu can get EXTRA choppy between the boats and the wind. I remember one summer, (early 90's) riding my old Kawi Standup all the way across to hang under the bridge. On that day... the only guys out in the middle were the big "Go fast" boats. (+30')

Unfortunately... the only way to deal with large waves is a bigger boat.

Yeah Doc, Seadoo's hull design may work to get on plane, but it's not much for cutting through the chop. We enjoy Havasu, great place to play with the boat and people watch all the younger crowd going bizerk. Get a few odd looks when I raft up in Copper Canyon, I tell them, "hey...don't laugh, I'm you in 30 years"...Seems to be a pretty good conversation starter. We stay at London Bridge, (they offer a boater package that includes a water slip so you launch Fri aft, and come and go all weekend) we like to go out after dinner, putt up and down the channel, and check out the hundreds if not thousands of really nice boats all nosed onto the sandy banks, partying. That town is definitely a 24/7, PARTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back