Speedster has water in oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

treys599

Sunday was a very bad storm here and the rain was enough to seep through the boat cover and overcome the bilge and almost sink our boat, the engine was completely submerged. Raised it out, changed oil and filter, pulled plugs (and changed them), shot water out of the engine for probably an hour. Everything was filled with water, but today I got it running again. there were a couple times when we thought we had gotten all the water out put the plugs back in and it cranked for a split second before stopping, at which point we would pull the plugs and more water would come out. Now its actually running just the way it was before all of this. However there is now water in the oil, giving it a milkshake like color and look, it also spurts oil out of the oil fill cap every now and again when running. Its an open loop system, pulling water from the lake, non saltwater lake. its a 2007 Speedster with the 215 hp sc and intercooled 3 cylinder. Ive changed the oil 3 times at this point (though I did only change the oil filter once). Im worried that when I went to start it there was enough water in the cylinder to blow the head gasket out. I did take it on a short ride and its revving normally, and the check engine light isn't on with no codes. Should I just keep changing the oil, and change the filter? should I do a compression test, will that give me the answer? Im very used to working on 2 stroke marine engines but this is the first 4 stroke I've had to actually diagnose and work on (I've sunk and cleared 2 strokes many times on my jet skis). Before all of this it was running normally and when I changed the oil after it had been sunk there wasn't really any water in the oil, and it was a normal used oil color, but there was a little water, I just didn't even crank it over after it had been sunk so the water and oil didn't really mix.

Last edited:
I would think you need to change the oil yet again and probably again. The filter itself and filter reservoir will hold some oil, and it is also very difficult to get all of the oil out of a 4tec. It really does not take much water to make an oil look milky. Are you seeing the milkiness of the oil reduce as you do the oil changes? Are you following the Sea-Doo procedure on changing oil?

Change the oil until the presence of water is gone. This could require quite a few oil changes. Still cheaper than a trashed motor from water intrusion.

Ok, ill continue changing the oil and filter now. for oil changes I've been using a siphon pump, the hose goes down the dip stick tube about 18.5 inches and it sucks the oil out, from there we've been cranking the engine without starting to let more oil fall into the pan. we do this about 3 times. We don't have a manual but I believe that is what the manual calls for. Is there a better way to get even more oil out? and so far we haven't really been able to tell a difference in the oil were pulling out of the engine, all oil changes have looked pretty similar.

Ok, ill continue changing the oil and filter now. for oil changes I've been using a siphon pump, the hose goes down the dip stick tube about 18.5 inches and it sucks the oil out, from there we've been cranking the engine without starting to let more oil fall into the pan. we do this about 3 times. We don't have a manual but I believe that is what the manual calls for. Is there a better way to get even more oil out? and so far we haven't really been able to tell a difference in the oil were pulling out of the engine, all oil changes have looked pretty similar.
That is the correct procedure to change oil. Like stated, it's gonna take many changes.

Sounds like you're on the right path.

Moving forward, I'd make sure your bilge pumps are working and maybe throw in a back-up just in case this happens again. Cheap insurance if you leave your boat in the water.

Yep, keep changing the oil till no traces of water. Usually 3x does the trick but only if you get most all of the contaminated oil out.

If it runs good probably not a head gasket but checking compression is never a bad idea and only takes a few minutes to confirm no gasket issues exist.

If oil was milky before the sinking, changing oil again and again isn't gonna fix it.

We use cheap oil while doing the multiple oil changes, the last change gets the good stuff.

Changed the oil again today and it seems to have cleared up finally as the oil is no longer milky and just looks like new oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back