Speedster 200 Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

needham

guys I am looking to buy my first ever boat. I have been looking around and reading a bunch here.

2005 speedster 200 (370Hp) under 100 hours (waiting for them to scan it) has wake tower and looks super clean, they want 19,995.

I think that seems high, Nada has the boat at 13,500 ish. I know SD boats are over valued some, but this still seems high to me for a 2005.
Biggest issue is the boat is in Nevada.
what do yall think?

More than anything I am looking to ride around in a boat in area lakes, maybe drop it in the river (Mississippi) as I am in Memphis and cruise.

I am some what torn between the Speedster 200 and an Utopia 205. I like the Speedsters style and general look. and the Utopia I am not big on the windshield (dont know why)but I like the back sun deck a tad more, as the sun deck I think I will spend lots of time, while floating and hanging out.

thanks

+1 to the S200. The ask price is a bit high but the 370 hp configuration and waketower can add roughly $3-4k to base boat values, so that's a real worth premium. Yes, Nada is lower than trade prices typically, even end of season values.

In addition to hours, try and get a compression test and BUDS read from dealer, along with jet pump wear ring/impellar inspection. Also insist on a test drive on water and look into the bilge before and after running the craft to check how watertight the hull may be. Check that all electronics are functioning. Others will chime in here on that particular engine setup.

thanks moose, all very good points and great advice. Of course, that is some of the issues the boat is in VEgas and I am in Memphis.

Still thinking and going to ask several more questions of the dealer and I am going to wait for the BUDS report as well.

Hell I went 33 years without owning a boat, a while longer wont hurt anything, LOL

If you haven't already, check out current S200 listings on ebay. If nothing else it helps benchmark trade prices. There's a 2006 wake model now listed with no reserve, you may be lucky enough to save big on the price to pay for a plane flight to inspect the boat properly. Presume you've also surfed boat trader and googled other S200 efforts. You'll start seeing end of season must sell situations.

FWIW, I ended up paying a $16.5k peak season premium to get a 60 hr '04 S200 with 310 hp on July 4th weekend. I've also spent another circa $1k in hydroturf, depth finder, stereo and other misc upgrades. The wake tower, cover, safety gear, and water toys can ad up too so helpful to have much of that covered on the boat buy if possible.

Good luck.

That price is a tad hight, but not totally out of the ball park if the boat is in good shape. They run around 14,000 to 16000 on ebay.

I recieved this email from a seller on Criagslist............something does not feel right.........as the boat seems to be shipped from SC (i assume mean S carolina) yet the listing on craigslist was out west?????
and wants to deal on ebay, yet the boat is not on Ebay it is on craigslist?????

what do you guys think??????

Hi,

Thank you for being interested in buying my 2008 Sea Doo 230 wake, 63 hours
It is in EXCELLENT condition; the body and paint are great, no scratches and no dents; it has never been involved in an accident; comes with all the documents needed for registration and clear title.
My final price on it is US $14,900. It is priced to sell fast !
My husband received a good job in Canada and we decided to move here. The boat is already at the shipping company and as I am unable to deal in person we decided to make this transaction through eBay. I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do this.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally but I would prefer to secure the deal through eBay. Also because the boat will be shipped from SC to your address I prefer to work with a third party in order to keep the both of us safe in this deal. I will be assured you will buy the boat and you will be assured that you will receive it! Basically the money will be sent to them and they will keep the money until you receive the boat and only after you inspect and drive it they will forward the money to me.

If you have other questions feel free to email.
Thank you!
Karen

well I read Criagslist warning and I feel quite sure this is scammy.

also I just figured out SC would be SO CAL, since the listing is in vegas.

hell in the south SC mean SO Carolina LOL

If you use "craiglook.com" you can search the whole country instead of just certain areas. Then you will see these scams the exact same boat is up for sale in different cities. If is sounds to good to be true it is.

thanks for the craiglook!!!!! I heard about the national search but did not know how to use it.
THANKS

scams are everywhere nowdays.

Hold On

Although Im sure this is a scam based on the poor English there is something to consider - you actually ARE safer on ebay. As long as the item qualifies for Buyer Protection and you pay in the USA/Canada and the item is in those countries, ebay does offer 100 per cent protection. Read the fine print carefully there are some exclusions like off-eBay payment. There is usually where the scam happens - they want payment outside eBay. Not protected.

The fact that the boat is listed in multiple areas is not necessarily indicative, a smart buyer would do this to gain exposure, after all ebay covers many different areas.

The poor english is a give away. They also usually have a hard luck story about their wife or husband dieing etc.

This is without question a scam. I've seen it many times in similar forms. They often use photos from legitimate eBay or craigslist ads.

Interesting to note that this scam is often aimed toward Speedster buyers. I imagine the scammers reason that Speedsters are often sold to younger buyers who they feel may be more susceptible although I can't believe anyone would fall for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back