Speedster 200 Porpoising

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott0321

Hey all

Had a quick thought. I'm having some issues with porpoising in light to moderate chop with this boat and usually it is only the family. Mom and two boy 5 and 9. They tend to sit in the back and always someone riding shotgun. I think I need some additional weight up front.

I was thinking could I grab and secure some sand bags up in the front storage area to keep the nose down a little. I was thinking two forty pound bags that I could wrap in burlap. Anyone ever try this....pros / cons. I know trim tabs are avail but it's not a huge issue.

I have 3 kids and they all sit up front. That leaves me and the wife in the mid. I still have porpoising. Cant seam to get rid of it no matter where the weight is distributed.

I think that is just the characteristics of these boats. They really are like a big jetski.

The porpoising really sucks. I have tried 50 lbs in the nose and no change. It really sucks. I am convinced I can add trim off of a ski. Hopefully next week I can start trying to figure it out.

Nope. I bounced all over the lake last weekend. Never got a chance to see about adding trim off of a ski either.

for some reason my boat doesn't do it, lucky I guess!! I would think installing some trim tabs would eliminate the problem

Wow, bummer for your problems. I have the issue only very moderately. Not worth installing tabs on mine, but if your problem is bad enough to hate your boat, then tabs would be worth every penny. I bet they will solve your issue if you get good ones.

Huh. I wonder why some boats do it and some don't. My boat is only good on calm days. At WOT any small wave will upset it and you have to back out of it. If I just stay in it it just gets worse and worse until the pumps unhook. On a typical crowded lake day anything above 25mph gets unbearable in my boat. I love the fun of my speedster but wish I had gotten a challenger.

Huh. I wonder why some boats do it and some don't. My boat is only good on calm days. At WOT any small wave will upset it and you have to back out of it. If I just stay in it it just gets worse and worse until the pumps unhook. On a typical crowded lake day anything above 25mph gets unbearable in my boat. I love the fun of my speedster but wish I had gotten a challenger.

Don't worry, my Challenger 180 does it also.

If anyone hates it enough to give it to me ill take it and deal with it hahaha jk hope you guys get it fixed but also know that it is a big jet ski basically so its gonna do it some if you dont want it to do it at all just buy a luxury boat and youll be fine

My parents have the 23 foot yamaha boat. Rides very smooth and lots of room. The performance does not even get close to the speedster. I just have a 20 foot jet ski that I can take 6 friends out on. I guess I just need 2 boats. Haha. I do love the speedster when the water is calm.

My boat is the EXACT same way. although whenever im towing someone it rides fine for some reason???

maybe it has to do with drag since some are saying that it is fine when pulling someone. Maybe trim tabs really would help this problem ....... try it

Can someone elaborate on what porpoising is? I have a 150, I don't think it has this problem.

Ok. When I first start driving the boat off the launch I floor it and it rides smooth as hell. Then as soon as I don't have a crazy headwind and I'm in regular GLASS the boat bounces uncotrollably at ANY speed. No matter what u do, u are feeling neck breaking, knee destroying slamming. I absolutely hate my boat in these cases. The only time I enjoy it is on absolute glass in shallow water where the possibility of even a 6 inch wave isn't at all conceivable. Ughhhhhh

I Just ordered the BRP Trim Tabs from BRP. After tax they were around 400 bucks. They should be here friday so Ill be sure to shoot some pics of the install and let u know if I still hate my boat enough to Just wanna sink it in the Middle of the lake.

Can you elaborate on the trim tabs you purchased? I know they put out a set a while back and discontinued them. Where did you order the tabs from? I still wish I had time to adapt the electric trim off of a ski.

I Just ordered the BRP Trim Tabs from BRP. After tax they were around 400 bucks. They should be here friday so Ill be sure to shoot some pics of the install and let u know if I still hate my boat enough to Just wanna sink it in the Middle of the lake.

Can you give us a link to purchase the tabs? pls post some pictures!

OK EVERYONE. I have a 2007 sea doo speedster 200 wake 430hp. It used to go 62. I ordered the trim tabs with the part number everyone throws on here. They arnt even listed at my local sea doo dealership but they were able to order them easily. All these tabs are, are additional plates that bolt to the existing lower jet cover plates with screws. My boat now goes 58mph gps confirmed and rides flat as a pancake. Every once in a great while it will start a purpose fit through waves and ill come off the throttle and get right back on and its gone. Before my boat used to bounce everywhere so hard I cracked my wake tower. One thing Id like to say to all you people running in rough conditions, these tabs will NOT make it easier to fly through huge waves on the lake. The boat still obviously has no beem and wont split waves but these tabs were money well spent and I highly recomend this remedy. Sorry for the spelling and slight vagueness! -Erik

design of the bottom of the boat is my guess... Thats why they steer the way the do. put a deeper v in the hull problem solved....your skipping over the wakes/waves...

I get this problem every once and a while, but not severe. I find that a slight change in the throttle, either up or down, immediately corrects the issue. Past that I can't say why some boats do it more than others. I have noticed that we towing a skier, tuber, etc. it never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back