special socket for removing the Impeller?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatsink56

Hey every one, doing research on rebuilding my wear ring and impeller..(2003 utopia 185, M2 merc jet setup) my next question is..is the only way to get the big nut off the impeller is with the special sea doo socket? or is there a different cheaper mod out there? special socket is 100 bucks.. If i have to buy it then i will just sucks to buy something you may only use once in a couple of years? any in site on this would be great.

I paid $60 for that socket. 10 years ago.
Technically, that nut is supposed to come off yearly in order to remove the impeller in order to grease the splines so impeller can be removed in the future.

There have been some members that have purchased the proper hex size socket. Then cut off the end on a lathe, then welding a proper size piece of pipe between the socket pieces.

Whatever method you use, DO NOT use an impact wrench on that nut. You may be saying goodbye to your gearbox. Hand tools only. There are 2 flats on the shaft for a wrench. Remove the intake grate. Don't try to remove the nut without the wear ring in place. It helps support the shaft while removing that nut. The nut is tight- torqued to 150 ft/lb. plus any corrosion.

Be careful of the end of the shaft- from the nut to the end. It is both bearing surface and seal surface. No imperfections allowed.

Might as well replace the seal while the stator is off.

ok Thanks Tim, so basically i'll get my money worth out of the special socket. thanks for the heads up on the wear ring.. being in place to remove the nut.

I paid $60 for that socket. 10 years ago.
Technically, that nut is supposed to come off yearly in order to remove the impeller in order to grease the splines so impeller can be removed in the future.

There have been some members that have purchased the proper hex size socket. Then cut off the end on a lathe, then welding a proper size piece of pipe between the socket pieces.

Whatever method you use, DO NOT use an impact wrench on that nut. You may be saying goodbye to your gearbox. Hand tools only. There are 2 flats on the shaft for a wrench. Remove the intake grate. Don't try to remove the nut without the wear ring in place. It helps support the shaft while removing that nut. The nut is tight- torqued to 150 ft/lb. plus any corrosion.

Be careful of the end of the shaft- from the nut to the end. It is both bearing surface and seal surface. No imperfections allowed.

Might as well replace the seal while the stator is off.
where did you buy socket from I can't find anywhere. thanks

Tim is 100% spot on.

I don't have many specialized tools in my garage... but that is one I do have. It will keep the shaft safe, and fits perfectly. The price of the tool is way less than the headache you will have if you damage the impeller shaft.

If you don't need it right now... keep your eye on ebay. Mine was used, and I only paid $40 for it.

Tim is 100% spot on.

I don't have many specialized tools in my garage... but that is one I do have. It will keep the shaft safe, and fits perfectly. The price of the tool is way less than the headache you will have if you damage the impeller shaft.

If you don't need it right now... keep your eye on ebay. Mine was used, and I only paid $40 for it.
Ok thanks, do you think it’s better to refurbish OEM or buy new After market. Leading edges are pretty chipped.

Ok thanks, do you think it’s better to refurbish OEM or buy new After market. Leading edges are pretty chipped.

Once the impeller is in your hand, about 20 minutes with a Dremel tool and your impeller should be ready to re-install. Leading edges do NOT need to be razor sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back