Remove impeller 2003 utopia 205

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichieRich71

Bought a 2003 Seadoo Utopia 205 Opitmax M2 250hp. Needs impeller and wear ring. Bought the impeller nut socket and shaft wrench. Got the nut off. I have downloaded the repair manual as well but I'm not sure how to get impeller itself off. Does it unscrew counterclockwise like the nut or slide off?

Attachments

• imp 1.jpg
    imp 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • imp 2.jpg
    imp 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66
It should slide straight back and off the shaft. You are finding out why Mercury spec's yearly removal and regrease of impeller splines. Spray your favorite penatrant on both sides of the impeller and shaft. DO NOT HAMMER ON ANYTHING. I had to rig up a small jack and ropes to get my impeller off.

How bad is your impeller and wear ring?

Been using PB Blaster front and back. I'll try the rope thing without banging. Thanks

Attachments

• wr1.jpg
    wr1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • wr3.jpg
    wr3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
  • wr4.jpg
    wr4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Wear ring does not look too bad. A coat of epoxy resin inside and a little love with a dremel tool on the impeller and back together.

Looks like boat has sat in sea water for a while. That is what has caused the pitting. Check your zincs.

Got the impeller off with rope and jack trick. Thanks. It was super dry. Last thing is to get wear ring housing off. While waiting for the impeller socket couple days ago, figured I would loosen the 4 long ss bolts on the wear ring housing. I was in hurry and forgot to heat up the housing and the last one snapped. Duh, I know better. Been soaking with pb blaster last few days and I know there are no threads but the corrosion has made its own threads. Any ideas. Tried a come along with my truck backed up but the whole housing and the entire underside unit was shifting forward. Stopped that. Trying to rig it to push off the housing behind with another jack and some heat. Any ideas? 121299A8-C16B-491B-BA2C-9BEDBA158392.jpeg

Got the wear ring to break free. Thought I was out of the woods. Took the nut off of the steering cable in the back side of the wear ring. There is also a nut behind the opening where the cable comes through. Put the ss nut back on a little and tried to tap it back through the hole. No luck. Soaking overnight and will try in the morning unless it’s suppose to screw out.

Attachments

• B85E1CA0-7B98-43A7-86C4-A86E6148DE55.jpeg
    B85E1CA0-7B98-43A7-86C4-A86E6148DE55.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 4507E8DF-7403-4414-A3F6-A7139612FEED.jpeg
    4507E8DF-7403-4414-A3F6-A7139612FEED.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • FD58476C-CBD2-4459-AA2B-9BBEEB775AB0.jpeg
    FD58476C-CBD2-4459-AA2B-9BBEEB775AB0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • 25BEE617-B793-4E93-9FE0-014516D73017.jpeg
    25BEE617-B793-4E93-9FE0-014516D73017.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
I had similar problem, except with the stator bolts. I used a slide hammer on the bolts after they were loose. I use Never-Seize on every bolt that I ever have taken out. The AL. oxide will surprise you with how strong it can be. Keep up the PB Blaster.
Got the wear ring to break free. Thought I was out of the woods. Took the nut off of the steering cable in the back side of the wear ring. There is also a nut behind the opening where the cable comes through. Put the ss nut back on a little and tried to tap it back through the hole. No luck. Soaking overnight and will try in the morning unless it’s suppose to screw out.

Pulls straight off. Not threaded.

I had similar problem, except with the stator bolts. I used a slide hammer on the bolts after they were loose. I use Never-Seize on every bolt that I ever have taken out. The AL. oxide will surprise you with how strong it can be. Keep up the PB Blaster.

Pulls straight off. Not threaded.
Success. Bought a 7/8 crows foot and loosened the bolt behind. Put the fron nut on and tightened until it forced the cable to break free. Finally. Thanks for all the help.

Bought a 2003 Seadoo Utopia 205 Opitmax M2 250hp. Needs impeller and wear ring. Bought the impeller nut socket and shaft wrench. Got the nut off. I have downloaded the repair manual as well but I'm not sure how to get impeller itself off. Does it unscrew counterclockwise like the nut or slide off?
hi where did you buy impeller tool, i can't find them anywhere, and what prop did you and from where,thanks.

hi where did you buy impeller tool, i can't find them anywhere, and what prop did you and from where,thanks.

Remember one thing about this socket. It might make it easier to locate one.
This socket is NOT a Seadoo part. It is a Mercury/Mercruiser/Quicksilver part.

As of this moment, there are 4 for sale on ebay. About $100 each. About $119 from Mercury.

Try your local Merc dealer. They may liquidate old tools.

Remember one thing about this socket. It might make it easier to locate one.
This socket is NOT a Seadoo part. It is a Mercury/Mercruiser/Quicksilver part.

As of this moment, there are 4 for sale on ebay. About $100 each. About $119 from Mercury.

Try your local Merc dealer. They may liquidate old tools.
thanks for your input unfortunately for me I'm north of the 49th parallel, and even more embarrassed of our leader, so with the loonie worth .70 cents to the green back, plus shipping I'm looking at 200cad for that socket. However did stumble upon ifish.com jet pump forum and there's a guy on there who has altered a 13/16" socket to fit nut. surprised theres nothing like that on this forum. Cut deep socket in half weld pipe in between and make appropiate notches with zip cut. I'll have to give it a try, first going in through my grating with a file and dremel. if that don't improve cav. i'll make socket and pull prop.

thanks for your input unfortunately for me I'm north of the 49th parallel, and even more embarrassed of our leader, so with the loonie worth .70 cents to the green back, plus shipping I'm looking at 200cad for that socket. However did stumble upon ifish.com jet pump forum and there's a guy on there who has altered a 13/16" socket to fit nut. surprised theres nothing like that on this forum. Cut deep socket in half weld pipe in between and make appropiate notches with zip cut. I'll have to give it a try, first going in through my grating with a file and dremel. if that don't improve cav. i'll make socket and pull prop.

13/16 socket??? That nut is somewhere about 2 inch hex. Not sure what good a 13/16 socket will do.

Whatever method you use, don't damage that shaft. That is a bearing surface and a seal surface.

13/16 socket??? That nut is somewhere about 2 inch hex. Not sure what good a 13/16 socket will do.

Whatever method you use, don't damage that shaft. That is a bearing surface and a seal surface.

you need to add another inch to that 13/16s=====1+13/16.... 46MM

you need to add another inch to that 13/16s=====1+13/16.... 46MM

From what I recall the wear ring is like $600-800 alone. The fixed mine with marine epoxy and it worked perfect. It’s been 3 yrs. my pics are on the forum here if your interested in doing that. The impellor is another story. Send it to glen perry!

Can you post a picture of the socket from Harbor freight? Please -- pretty Please.
just cam from our local one, and they do not have one that big that is deep.

I will see if I can dig it up. I did look on their website and i don’t see it anymore. I bought this stuff 15yrs ago for big trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back