Solas intake grate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsuarez1016

hey i wanted to know if the Solas intake grate really makes a different performance wise.. like what does it do for the ski

It depends on the ski and also the water you run in...

As a general rule, the more aggressive grate GRABS more water which creates more drag. So, it can actually slow the ski down.
If you ride in ruff water the grate will normally help as your grate is often not normally fully submerged. It will throw water into the impeller better than a stock grate as it extends further down and has a more extreme angle.

If you have a super charged engine or other items that improve the engine power, you can use this grate with either minimal loss all the way through to improved performance.

With a stock engine, you will get nice out of the hole acceleration and normally get improved cornering as well. If you have a STRONG engine, and especially if you have an improved impeller, you may get as much as 3 mph on the top end as well...

I have bought but not installed just yet some goodies myself for my RXT-X. Bought Solar Impeller, Wedge, Steering Extender and performance grate. Looking forward to summer.... :)

joe is pretty much right,
more practical for performance enhancement if your riding in heavy chop or you have put several mods on your ski already:
on smooth water, and a stock GSX, it likely won't offer any improvements that are noticable, although it might "feel" a little tighter, and if anything it might slow you down a tad on the top end.

I used to think grates made a difference for the average rec rider, until I took my grate off (flat water) and my ski actually ran better on the top end, and i didn't see any performance drop elsewhere. (keep in mind there may have been a drop in performance, but it wasn't noticeable by my standards, I just putz around, nothing that involves stopwatches :)

It depends on the ski and also the water you run in...

As a general rule, the more aggressive grate GRABS more water which creates more drag. So, it can actually slow the ski down.
If you ride in ruff water the grate will normally help as your grate is often not normally fully submerged. It will throw water into the impeller better than a stock grate as it extends further down and has a more extreme angle.

If you have a super charged engine or other items that improve the engine power, you can use this grate with either minimal loss all the way through to improved performance.

With a stock engine, you will get nice out of the hole acceleration and normally get improved cornering as well. If you have a STRONG engine, and especially if you have an improved impeller, you may get as much as 3 mph on the top end as well...

I have bought but not installed just yet some goodies myself for my RXT-X. Bought Solar Impeller, Wedge, Steering Extender and performance grate. Looking forward to summer.... :)

i have a 97 seadoo gsx 787 and just want it a little faster

If you do nothing else but buy a grate, I believe you will lose top-end speed.

Probably gain better handling and maybe out of the hole performance.

The most affordable would be an impeller. But much of what we said stands true for impellers much like intake grates.

Our skis run very well from the factory. It is hard to get them to run faster without doing some sort of engine modification.

An impeller can EASILY get you better performance but not increase top-end speed. If you were to get an increase it would likely be 3 mph or less. You MUST get the perfect impeller if you do no engine mods to get both low-end and top-end performance.

There are kits that cost about a grand that will increase the engines performance and then an impeller can easily get you over-all performance.

There are modules that bypass the RPM restrictor which will increase your speed. But they all come both with a price as well as faster wear and tear on the engine.

I'll post a link to a kit later today to give you an example.

yes, top end = impeller.

however for that model, i'm not sure which one to recommend, somebody may chime in...

i have the 96 xp and the xo prop got me the most top end, pushed me from high 50's to low 60's. (modded ski)
I decided top end wasn't important to me and switched to a swirl prop, back down to 57, but I have nice low end pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back