Small cap fell inside gas tank.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Foster Bettin

Hey,
So we just bought our sea doo spark today and as we were filling it up with gas a small cap from the gas can (those stupid new cans with an unlimited amount of safety features because the companies have been sued so many times) fell in the gas tank :banghead:.
The cap was about the size of the tip of a middle finger.
I'm really hoping it will be safe to ride but do I risk damaging the machine? Is is safe to drive?
Thank You.

Hey,
So we just bought our sea doo spark today and as we were filling it up with gas a small cap from the gas can (those stupid new cans with an unlimited amount of safety features because the companies have been sued so many times) fell in the gas tank :banghead:.
The cap was about the size of the tip of a middle finger.
I'm really hoping it will be safe to ride but do I risk damaging the machine? Is is safe to drive?
Thank You.

You will be fine,,, the cap is designed to be in contact with fuel, so you know it won't "melt" and become a problem. And the screen in the tank is registered in PPM (Part Per Million, which means the cap can't get sucked into the fuel pump.

If you are bothered by it, see if you have access to where the rubber fuel filler hose clamps onto the fuel tank. If so, you may be able to see it if you remove the hose.

You will be fine,,, the cap is designed to be in contact with fuel, so you know it won't "melt" and become a problem. And the screen in the tank is registered in PPM (Part Per Million, which means the cap can't get sucked into the fuel pump.

If you are bothered by it, see if you have access to where the rubber fuel filler hose clamps onto the fuel tank. If so, you may be able to see it if you remove the hose.
We were mainly worried about it possibly getting into a location where it may start restricting fuel supply. We didn't know if there was a screen or something to keep it from falling into the tank.

I've not had a Spark Tank in my hand. But I'm sure there is a screen in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the spout from one of the newer gas cans down in the tank of my Polaris RZR. (Fuel injected SxS) It's been down there for about 3 years now. lol

You should be fine.

Thank you! Now I have to decide the best way to break in this thing. It seems the community is evenly divided by breaking it in by the book and using the more aggressive way.

Two biggest keys are, nothing consistent and it's fine to do some high speed bursts, just not prolonged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a new 5 gallon gas can and I have a feeling that that spout isn't going to last too long.

I was talking to the service manager at my local dealer when i picked up my new sparks the other day. He said no prolonged bursts for 5 hours and heat cycle the engine. But other than that have fun. He also said there's no need to change the oil after the break in period. Even said you can go 100 hours without your first oil change. I may not change the oil after the 5 hours. But i definitely wouldn't recommend going 100 hours lol. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

So I forgot to heat cycle the engine but the whole day I had the RPM's constantly changing (intentionally), but never did many high speed bursts. Reason why is because we have a 4ft chop and I couldn't get it straight with full throttle and not have cavitation the whole time.
Should I stop driving it all together, mainly because when I read about the heat cycles you cant go over 3000-4000 rpm for a certain time. I have been past those marks many times.

I was talking to the service manager at my local dealer when i
picked up my new sparks the other day. He said no prolonged bursts for 5 hours and heat cycle the engine. But other than that have fun. He also said there's no need to change the oil after the break in period. Even said you can go 100 hours without your first oil change. I may not change the oil after the 5 hours. But i definitely wouldn't recommend going 100 hours lol. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Not sure what your book says but my '15 gti says 50 hrs for first oil change and 100 after that or 1 year whatever comes first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back