Sliding my Jetski on and off a trailer numerous times *DRY* ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

3pedalmini

I need some advice, I have a 2011 GTI 130 and i am currently building a shed to house her in. The problem is i was limited in the size of building i could build due to the way my property is layed out and the local inspectors office. I have a shed that needs to serve double duty so the only way this works is if i back my trailer to the opening and slide her off of the trailer onto a permanent set of "bunks" that ill build. (essentally a non moving trailer within the shed)

Here is a picture of the shed. The right "bump" out was built to house the length of the jetski.
145.jpg

My concern is pulling it on and off and damaging the gel coat. What ill build would be an identical copy height and angle of the bunks on the trailer, essentially making a "conveyor" My first thought was to use roller bunks (3 sets, one for the trailer and two for the bunk system in the shed. Although this would make pulling it on/off a breeze im more concerned about putting the rollers on the trailer after reading some threads on here about them. Doing some searching around here alot of you guys love taco trailer glyde slicks. If i outfit the trailer, and bunks in the shed with these will i damage my hull sliding it on/off of the trailer dry? or should I go with the roller bunks?

Thanks!

personally get a roller system that will be either outfitted on the trailer. which i see no problem with so that when you back up your trailer when you roll it backwards, once it starts to slide on to your permanent bed it will go smoothly what i can also suggest is some sort of which pulling from the back, like a crank handle on your seadoo trailer to help with the ease of the weight from the ski moving on dry surface...

actually i have a winch laying around that i planned on using, I also have some limit switches and stuff laying down that ill be installing to make sure that the ski doesnt get pulled back too far :D

so are you saying just do the roller bunks on the trailer too? this would be my prefered method because it seems like its the safest but after reading on here about them im not so sure. ive also done some googleing and have read that on hard bumps or pot holes people have had cracked hulls due to the rollers and the PWC being so lite. im also thinking about just doing rollers on the permanent bed but doing the glyde slicks on the trailer. Im just worried about damaging the gel coat doing this dry you know? i guess i could get a hose and wet the bunks before i pull it into the shed to help ease the friction? i do have to drive an hour or so to get to water, thats why im concerned about the rollers now on the trailer, maybe im reading to many things? haha

the best is to not put rollers on the trailer as it prob will damage the hull, the best is put the rollers on the permanent bed... much easier! and use a winch to move your ski once on the bed in the shed, much easier on that note... as for glide slicks for the trailer seems like a viable idea to me.... and maybe some sort of lifting motion on your part should move the ski backwards with ease.

the best is to not put rollers on the trailer as it prob will damage the hull, the best is put the rollers on the permanent bed... much easier! and use a winch to move your ski once on the bed in the shed, much easier on that note... as for glide slicks for the trailer seems like a viable idea to me.... and maybe some sort of lifting motion on your part should move the ski backwards with ease.

Cool! thanks man :thumbsup: i think ill do that to minimize the friction while im pulling it back. As long as i spray some water on the bunks before i slide it in it should be no different then in the water? im going to pick up the slicks tomorow at west marine and get the roller bunks ordered. Ill post pics of the system when its finished :D

I love little projects like these!

yea and if you want to save yourself from forcing so much rather then pushing a lot use a winch... will make life easier yea i think using a little water on the bunks should do you some good! like if it were coming out of water and you were leaving... so same type of friction.. as to your cool project, thats pretty neat and must say you have a real nice shed thats comin along!

Will the trailer fit into the shed? Or is it too small length x width. Don't know the dimensions so hard to give advice. From what I see just build a small ramp into it. It is hard to tell just by pic though.

My seadoo boat trailer was too long for my garage by 1' 8". I used this:
http://www.fultonperformance.com/co...vl=3&parentid=7000&catID=7060&part=HDPB340101
It was super easy to install and works like a charm. They make several different sizes and kits. One suggestion though, there is an easy way to achieve a perfectly straight cut. Make two sets of lines around the tongue, separated by 1/4" or more, using a square. Cut between the two lines using a saw then use an angle grinder to grind each piece to its straight mark.

I have my skis sitting on ramps I built on the shore at the lake with winches. Before I put the glydes on the ramps it was alot of effort to push the skis down the ramp. Now, with the glydes I can do it with 1 finger. If you put them on your trailer bunks, NEVER undo the winch strap until you have the trailer backed into the water or else thye will slide right off the trailer onto the ground

Will the trailer fit into the shed? Or is it too small length x width. Don't know the dimensions so hard to give advice. From what I see just build a small ramp into it. It is hard to tell just by pic though.

Width is the issue, i could squeeze the trailer in there if i pulled off the lights, guide posts, fenders and wheels but thats just entirely too much work :cool: :lols:

My seadoo boat trailer was too long for my garage by 1' 8". I used this:
http://www.fultonperformance.com/co...vl=3&parentid=7000&catID=7060&part=HDPB340101
It was super easy to install and works like a charm. They make several different sizes and kits. One suggestion though, there is an easy way to achieve a perfectly straight cut. Make two sets of lines around the tongue, separated by 1/4" or more, using a square. Cut between the two lines using a saw then use an angle grinder to grind each piece to its straight mark.

thanks, i looked at that but decided the way the trailer is set up it would only save me 2ft. also the length isnt so much the problem its the width of the trailer.

I have my skis sitting on ramps I built on the shore at the lake with winches. Before I put the glydes on the ramps it was alot of effort to push the skis down the ramp. Now, with the glydes I can do it with 1 finger. If you put them on your trailer bunks, NEVER undo the winch strap until you have the trailer backed into the water or else thye will slide right off the trailer onto the ground

thanks! i just purchased them yesterday at west marine. Im just worried about them damaging the gel coat. Of course looking at the hull yesterday the bunks havent saved my hull either so im not sure these will do that much more damage. Did you just use the one strip on each bunk or did you get two kits and did them the double wide? they are so skinny

where I order them from had them in 2 widths. I think the ones I got are 3" wide but even with the skinny ones you are probably good single.

thanks! i just purchased them yesterday at west marine. Im just worried about them damaging the gel coat. Of course looking at the hull yesterday the bunks havent saved my hull either so im not sure these will do that much more damage. Did you just use the one strip on each bunk or did you get two kits and did them the double wide? they are so skinny

i think where I ordered them from had them in 2 widths. I think the ones I got are 3" wide but even with the skinny ones you are probably good single. And they slide so eays i think it is less abuse than the carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back