skat track magnum pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko_m

Premium Member
Premium Member
what are the added benifits in terms of handling and power if you change your stock jet pump to a skat track magnum pump?ski is a seadoo xp 800.

thanks

What are the differences between the 2? If the pump is different in size and the impeller has a different pitch then it will have a different effect on performance. If it just has a different name and is a stock replacement then it won't change anything.

Karl

If you have the info handy, post the skat-trak impeller pitch numbers. It will look like 16/22 or something.

Then, if you can, post the original numbers.

If you cannot do the original, someone here will look it up.

Then you will get some input as to how it will affect your ride.

Just as changing rear-end gearing on a car, swapping impellers will do one of two things:

1) slow down your hole shot but increase your top end speed (such as going from a 3.80 gear down to a 2.79, this is Ford 8" differential-speak)

or

2) pop you out of the hole but chop off some top end speed (such as going from a 2.79 to a 3.80 gear). It will feel more powerful because it can pull you up faster, but you have to sacrifice your top speed for it.

I actually did this exact swap in my Maverick (2.79-to-3.80). It now takes off MUCH faster, but I cruise the freeways at 3500 rpms, where I used to cruise at 2800. But I get to that speed MUCH faster.

Impeller swaps will do the same thing. You can either have hole-shot or low-rpm cruising speeds. You cannot have both.

I think that is what Karl was trying to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are companies out there that call their products different names , but are just stock components...That's why I made that comment. We really need to know the different information between the magnum, and the stock product to give you any advise on the differences. I'm personally not familiar with the "Magnum"

Karl

what are the added benifits in terms of handling and power if you change your stock jet pump to a skat track magnum pump?ski is a seadoo xp 800.

thanks

The Magnum pump will give you way better hookup and acceleration in rough water. It's not just a pump with a different name.

Chester

Disagree....

Usually magnum skat pumps require more hp to get all the benefits out of them. I wouldn't waste the money if your boat is stock.

I don't know about that. It may not be at it's full potential on a stock motor but I know a friend who invested in one, running off a 951, the 99 XPL and it rocks. He opted for the 12 vane model, which supposedly has better hook-up and acceleration.

I would love to give it a try but, I got kids.......:ack:

Dave....

I know Dave well. I met him via telephone last year. I do have the Solas Concord. I actually bought two of them with different pitch. I actually had better top end with my OEM impeller. In my info center, I have a peak speed recorded of 60mph. Now, that's not by GPS, that's by dream-o-meter.

I'm not saying your wrong about the magnum, I'm only saying that it does offer a significant change in acceleration and speed with standard horsepower motors. It's almost the same as saying to change my impeller after I've modded my engine. Of course it's gonna give me a few extra mph, that's what a change in pitch can do. I could also go with a power nozzle, after an impeller change, add a bit more. So, in the opposite direction, your doing the same, making a change for the better by a change in the pump design. Adding any type of performance part will only be better, not worse (unless you over pitch for your motors horsepower).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back