Single Engine 96 Challenger, buy or not?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac-1

I have been thinking about buying a small "family" boat of some kind to cruise the rivers and lakes with, maybe occasionally pull someone on a toy, etc. Don't really care about all out top speed, but don't want something too under powered either. I also own a 28 ft sailboat and an older 1990's Jet Ski. By chance over the weekend I spotted a 1996 SeaDoo Challenger at a local consignment lot that has mostly industrial equipment along with a couple of boats. They were closed, but I was able to to get a look at the boat and find out a few details about it.

Cosmetically I would call it good condition with some sun fading, it is a single engine model, seller claims has a recently rebuild engine, but still does not run right. Asking price is $2,800
with trailer, I don't mind the idea of doing an engine swap if the price is right, but would of course prefer not to. I don't know much about SeaDoo engines, but I did do an engine swap, exhaust upgrade, etc. on my Kawaskaki Jet ski (750 SS), and I assume the process would be similar for the SeaDoo.

So is it a deal or not, if not, what would be a good price? I am thinking about going by and looking at it while they are open in the next day or two, assuming it has not sold. Any other advice on the topic, I have searched the forum with mixed results, there are several other similar SeaDoos listed for sale on craigslist with a few hours drive, but so many are scams it is hard to find the real ones.

Great move posting and asking. No that boat is not worth $2800 unless it is running well and somewhat good looking.

It's not the most powerful model but would work well for your needs if it were in "water ready" condition. The seats are normally tore up and that is not an easy or cheap fix either. Good looking good runners come through pretty consistently for 35 hundredish.

So what would you say for fairly good looking, but may have engine issues with recent rebuilt engine? I know this may just be carb out of adjustment, or may be much worse.... Just trying to get an idea for the market there is another one listed nearby 97 model twin engine, garage kept, and the asking price is $9,000 (was $9,500 last week)

Hi,
I was in the market this year for just the boat you described. A friend of mine had a speedster back in 96' and I remembered how much fun it was. I looked at about 15 speedsters, sportsters, and challengers before I settled on a 97 challenger. Twins in the speedster are nice and get you about 10mph more top end and a much better hole shot. They are also twice the headache and gas/oil. Make sure you get a model that has the rear facing seat on the port side. some didn't have them until 97'. We use that seat EVERY time we go out. If you had a choice get the challenger. Its pretty much the same as the sportster with a slightly larger engine. A few options are different depending on the year. This weekend I had mine out by myself. 225lbs 1/2 tank fuel no gear. I made 44 MPH on GPS, which is flying if you asked me. We haven't pulled a tube yet (too cold), but others report the singles do a decent job once you get it on plane.
Regarding price, I think $2800 is way too much for a challenger that has fading and an unknown engine issue.
Even if the entire propulsion system is perfect (which it likely is not) you should pass. It's really just math. You should be able to find a very nice turn key boat with a recent rebuild and solid history for $3500. For some reason everybody asks between $4k and $5K for these boats. In my experience, they just don't bring that much.
Some of it kind of depends on more details and what your time is worth, but I wouldn't pay more than $1500.
Good luck.

So what would you say for fairly good looking, but may have engine issues with recent rebuilt engine? I know this may just be carb out of adjustment, or may be much worse.... Just trying to get an idea for the market there is another one listed nearby 97 model twin engine, garage kept, and the asking price is $9,000 (was $9,500 last week)

It must be a challenger 1800 which is a lot more boat than the one you describe above. Even so its Waaaay to much.

Its in season trying to rape people here. Offer 1/2 of what he wants if it even moves on the water unless they have proof of new engine. Pay no more the $1000 if you can't go on the water since in my eye it is parts boat..

I have found a couple of other candidates in somewhat reasonable driving range (175 miles), a twin engine 99 Speedster, running condition, looks like it needs a good bath, and a little upholstry work, asking $3,000 about 175 miles away and a 98 speedster with bad backseats and needing carbs rebuilt for $1,400 about 90 miles away.

I think I will try to go look at the local one tomorrow, just need to get in negociation charater first (don't shave in the morning, wear old T-Shirt, drive the 15 year old beat up pick up truck, not new Dodge Challenger SRT-8, etc.)

Just found yet another cadidate, a 99 Sportster with dual engines for $2400, runs, but one engine may have issues (oil seal). 150 miles away, nice otherwise

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the 96 Challenger is definately out of consideration, I went to look at it today between the spin off rain storms from Bob, condition looks much worse than the photos.

Currently I have 2 left as strong contenders both are 99 models, a 99 Speedster and a 99 Sportster 1800, asking price is a wash, the Sportster is about $600 less than the Speedster, but has a problematic engine, may be $100, r may be an engine swap out, since drop in 717's are running about $650 I am calling these two even dollar wise, both need a bath, both come with a bimini top, Sportster comes with a wake board, tube and ski rope, upgraded stereo, Speedster is missing back off rear seat, looks like about $250 used replacement on ebay. Just not sure what to think, sportster 1800 is bigger, but has smaller engines, probably nicer condition, I like the color (blue) beter than the yellow Speedster, What are your thoughts?

always bring a compression gauge. and bring along with youa second opinion from someone with experience in these boats can go a long way. these boats are so much fun and cheap to operate if you find a good one . but a bad one will easily ruin your summer

Thanks for the reminder on the compression gauge, I have a brand new one I bought when my old one for my 750SS Jet Ski died.

usually most people want a larger boat 2' makes a difference in rough water. I have had a full boat and still go in 40's in my 1800 Sportster. The 717 do have less maintenance and like 2 carbs verse 4 can use the cheaper oil since it is not a rave valve engine. You will get like 5-10 MPH faster the 1800 Sportster. The smaller one will use a little more gas. You can also carry more people and gear in the 1800 model also so that might make a difference.

Having an engine replaced is more like $1650(at least) not $650. Don't let a guy with a broken boat minimize the problem and have you pay a running boat price for it. If it's a simple fix he needs to have it fixed THEN ask near what the boat is worth in good running condition.

I would be basing your decision on how the boats perform in the water. This is the real test. A boat with better specs in a 16 year old brochure will do you no good if it's not in good service right now.

Just wondering where you get $1650 for a simple engine swap, multiple places online seem to be selling rebuilt 720's in the $650 ballpark, sure maybe add another $100-$150 for shipping and core exchange if required. Doing the swap should be easily done in one afternoon, unless there is something I am missing about the process, I am making the assumption that the engine swap will be no harder than doing one on my Kawasaki Jet Ski.

Well there is no room in that engine compartment for you haha. I have saved a lot of boats in the last couple of years and I'm tired of standing on my head. Skis are much easier because you can reach everything and rest your back periodically. If you do it yourself you will save yourself a lot of money but end up an oily Seadoo mechanic. This investment of your blood, sweat, tears, time and money should come at the sellers expense.

The $1650 was with some labor from a shop but even if you do it yourself it adds up. SBT engines start at about $745 and they kill you on the shipping. Shipping is both ways and your core must meet their standards or there will be massive penalties to pay. I don't want to just pick on them because other shops are similar with less warranty. Anyway you will need a gasket kit, plugs, carb kit and whatever else you find in there broken or missing.

OK, real money on do in the engine swap. From SES is a 2 year Prem. engine is $900 cost to ship is about $80 for shipping and packing material they ship back to you free. You should rebuild the carb so that is another $50. Since it is a part I would replace the wear ring and carbone seal $125. So you would be about $1200 for each engine plus your time to do it. It makes no sense to not do that extra stuff since the whole thing is apart. If the impeller is bad get one those 2. I does suck working in the boat I would remove the engine cover for sure and get a engine host like I use makes it easier. You do have more room to work in in a boat but your are upside down most of the time.

It will take longer than 1 afternoon unless you have some helpers with you to start removing the drive train and that. You really need 2 people or a lift to get the engine out safely unless you want to bust a nut or damage the boat it if falls. Plus you have to remove everything from the engine before you send it back so you need pullers and stuff. Ripping apart is easy put back together takes longer. You will also need an engine alignment tool is cost like $75 to rent so you should just but it. Whats another $75 since you will need to do the other one real soon. So I see the $1650 price coming real close.

An SBT engine totally up to you people have mixed reviews on the quality. You will get is faster turn around than another shop since most shops rebuild your motor you send them.

One thing I'd like to add. I was thinking of getting a 98-99 Speedster or Challenger. I think the interior has a good look. But I called around on seat replacement and was told that it's very hard(if do-able at all) to re-upholster these seats because the seat covers are molded to the underling foam padding.
Then, it is my understanding, in 2000 they switched to a 240hp Merc v6 engine. If this goes bad a long block is over $3500.
For these reasons I bought a 97 Speedster. These 2-strokes are under a $1000 for a long block. Please the interior seat covers are cheap. Somewhere around $600 for a whole set.
This is just what I learned in the two months that I was looking. Please correct me anyone if I'm not correct.
Happy Hunting.

Well it looks like I am going to be getting the 99 Sportster 1800 with twin 720's it has some sort of issue on one engine (oil leak from the rotary valve or crank seal from the sound of it), probably getting monday if all goes well with the transaction. Buyer came down $650 off his original asking price, and there simply don't seem to be any better deals within reasonable driving range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back