Should I fix this seadoo 587 single carb motor?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowsgonemadd3

So I bought a seadoo with a 587 single carb motor. Paid 100 bucks for the whole thing. The last sticker expired in 2000. It's set outside on blocks for a long time. The motor looks great. Took off the water pipe because as I feared, the starter was removed. I don't know the history of the seadoo. I don't know if the motor is any good. I took out the spark plugs and they was covered in black oil. How can I tell if the motor is any good?

well, you can't really do a comp test w/o a starter, (at least I don't know how) so...

if it was me i'd start with popping the head off and taking a peek inside, not much downside to doing that.

I just finished a 587 part out, the engine was also clean on the outside, but after popping the head I discovered all kinds of white/salt residue inside, although it might be saved with a good cleaning, best to check and see where you stand visually and proceed from there.

I took it apart today and to me, it looks good. No scratches on the piston walls and no dings or marks on the head piece either. I do see plenty of oil residue in the piston chambers. You can see that in the picture. I am not sure why this happened. I bet this one will hold compression. Oh, and I said it was a single carb, its actually a dual carb. I hear this was a more peppy motor but still rated the same HP as the single carb?

I just bought a 1990 and the starter went out a few days later. Found 2 bad motor mounts. Decided to rebuild the carb while I'm in there. So there could be some surprises along the way but it's all been reasonable to fix so far. I think the key would be trying a starter and see where the comp is at. I'm 130 each, so i hope to get some use out if it before having to tear it apart.

150 to each cylinder is normal? My 1996 xp had low compression but ran great. You just had to lean to one side to start it so the exhaust was out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back