Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

evpage45

Hello, I bought an old 89 seadoo this summer to use as a toy for going up north and on the lakes where I live. I work on cars as a hobby, but know near nothing about jetskis other than what I have researched. When I bought the jetski, I didn’t test it out on water, nor on a hose (dumb me). I took it out on the water and within 2-5 minutes it was overheating.

A few things about it; it has the 587 yellow rotax, it doesn’t spit water out the hole when on the hose or in water but comes out the left vent, I just replaced the head gasket earlier today, it ran fine for 10-15 minutes on the hose but won’t last more than 2 minutes in the water on its own, it had about .5-1 gallon of old gas when i filled the rest of the tank up with 93 and put 3oz of seafoam in it, the block/engine does get very hot and steams when beeping.

If anyone has any insight or things to try, I would very much appreciate the help. So far this is an $850 mistake…

What do you mean water comes out the left vent? Like the vent on the rear of the ski? It sounds to me the cooling system is hooked up wrong or clogged. This is a pic of the cooling system from my manual for my 90sp with the same yellow engine.

Attachments

• 20230714_203421.jpg
    20230714_203421.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 11
What do you mean water comes out the left vent? Like the vent on the rear of the ski? It sounds to me the cooling system is hooked up wrong or clogged. This is a pic of the cooling system from my manual for my 90sp with the same yellow engine.
Thank you for the diagram. Yes, when hooked up to the hose water will leak out of the rear left vent next to the hole by the rope tying spot. The only thing I know that has been done to the cooling system hoses is that the flush kit has been installed on the carburetor side of the engine bay.

What do you think a plan of action would be here? Take off all the cooling hoses and blast them with compressed air and water? The hose I originally ran it on didn’t have much water pressure, so should I try a different family’s house hose? Or is the machine just too old?

Back