Shaft and coupling question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstello

I took my sportster into the shop and the told me that the teeth on the shaft coupling and shaft were stripped. Has anyone had this happen to them? How hard is it to fix it??

not that difficult, have to pull pump assy, to remove shaft, then either a piston lock, or piece of rope down spark plug hole, to lodge motor from rotating to break off the PTO if those splines are screwed up...

Is a stripped coupling or shaft something that is common? Also do I need to worry about replacing the wear ring?

You need to add your seadoo model and year to your avatar so we can give you better information. If you have an older 2 stroke here is the wear ring specs;
Wear Ring clearance for your seadoo 1.0 mm or (.040in) Measure the clearance at the center of the impeller blades, with a 12” long gauge. Measure the clearance from the venturi side of the jet pump.

Karl

Is a stripped coupling or shaft something that is common? Also do I need to worry about replacing the wear ring?

My profile info is updated also. Thanks for the help.

When you say PTO do you mean the flywheel clutch? Does the shaft just come into a coupling? How exactly does it work? I checked the diagrams and I still am not sure. Also, Karl if I do take apart the boat to fix this problem do I HAVE to replace the wear ring?

The PTO,(Power Take Off) is at the back of the engine, where the power is generated to the impeller shart... The Mag,(Magneto) is at the front of the engine...where the magneto and flywheel is. There is no "flywheel clutch" on a seadoo. The impeller and wear ring is in the jet pump. The wear ring is a tight clearance to the impeller to allow thrust to be produced. The PTO end of the shaft comes off the engine from a coupling.

This might be the simplest solution for you...Do you have a seadoo shop manual? If not here’s an idea for you. You could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and private use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too. Premium members get priority when it comes to getting quick detailed answers.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back