Engine seems locked, but turn drive shaft and ok?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mduron4

In search of a water leak, I removed the muffler(water box) I filled with water and checked for leaks, there wer none ,I turned upside down to get the water out. Then I put the drain plugs in tilted the sportster as high as I could get it. Filled with water not passed the electric box! Also battery was out. No leaks there either. So put it all back together and started motor then I Turned on water hose ran ok then it just died!!! Try to start and it just clicked! Tried another battery and same thing. Baffled !!! I took out spark plugs and put my camera down, no water!!! Put plugs back. Then I took off carbon ring cover and turn drive shaft by hand and it turned . Then motor started ran ok then turned on hose and it ran for about 10 sec the. Died again. Turned off water , turned drive shaft again , started engine ran good turned on hose but this time I revved motor a little more than the last 2. Ran for about 15 min on hose and was fine. Restarted several times and now ok. Any thoughts anyone?

I would replace the driveshaft seal because after 15 minutes out of the water you have burned it up.

I don't understand why everyone thinks they need to run these on the hose especially for so long.
There is no reason to run these on the hose except to flush out the cooling system. This should only be done for about 2 minutes or you will overheat the driveshaft seal.

If you just want to see if the engine runs you can start them perfectly fine with no water for about a minute. This will confirm they have fuel and will run and are ready to be put in the water.

Sorry about that! I meant to say, The drive shaft seal you are saying is burnt up, (Do you mean the carbon ring is burnt up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back