Severe Hull Oxidation Restore HELP!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

treetopflyer737

So i've been in the process of a complete restore on a 1997 Seadoo Challenger 1800 that I picked up years ago for one hell of a deal. I have finally started attacking the hull and faded/torn decals. It has been a 2-3 week war of physical strength and brute will. I've researched the chemicals all the marine guys swear by and have come up with the following lineup of allies:

seadoo.jpg

I started with 1000grit wet-sanding by hand. This took weeks and that is not an overstatement. Makes you really appreciate the final touch :banghead:

The top half of the boat went well and came out pretty well considering how drastic the areas that had decals differed in white color. I was able to finally hide these lines after days and days of wet sanding, buffing with a wool pad with the 3M Marine Rubbing Compound, following with 3M Polishing Compound, Cleaning with the Collinite Fiberglass Cleaner, and finishing with the Collinite Fleet Wax (I do love this stuff) .

The hull is another story. I have spent two days wet sanding with 1000 now and buffed and polished a test area and the results were NOWHERE near (see picture) the finished deep shine I am looking for. I am almost ready to put the 1000 grit on a DA and go to town but I don't think this would be a good idea and would probably result in a very thin gelcoat (if I didn't burn through it at all).

FullSizeRender.jpg

Anyone have any other product recommendations to get this damn marine green back to a beautiful new finish?! The resistance is tough and I am at the brink of losing this war!

My experience with this type of oxidation is similar. I have a 1998 Donzi that was almost, but not quite as oxidized. I just paid to have mine done, because as you know, it is a LOT of work. It took a pro 4 days and he went down to 600 grit. It is tremendously better than it was, but it is not all the way back to that uniform, deep gloss gelcoat finish. I am now considering a yacht paint such as Interlux or Quantum.

Maybe someone has a better solution; I would like to know also. The quote I got to prep and paint my 22 footer was more than $5K.

I just did my two and they were bad! I went down to 800 wet sanding . And sanded until I got some color. If your getting that grey color it's still bad. You can use power for the 800 or 1000.

Changed to wetsanding by hand with 600 and was able to get the area that had the SEA DOO decals to blend in and started da'ing with 1000. Noticed a good difference still not perfect YET!

I doubt that you will be able to get the same color as under the decals, but it sounds like you are getting close.

The compounds that you have are fine, but I swear by the Maguire's Marine products. I have had great success with them. Wool pad on the compound, foam pads of finer "grit" on each of the polishing steps.

Good luck, let us see some pics when you're done.

Pretty much the same as above. I've done several boats, red being the worst IMO.

I went down to 800 wet by hand (expect your shoulders to HURT), then 1000, then wool pad with Farecla Marine compounds. I ended up using filler waxes for final finish, then sealed it. Worked out well.
Be careful with the wool, or you risk 'mirroring' or 'hologramming'.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back