Seadoo xp 800 1996 no spark on front cylinder (mag side??)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, go back to factory electronics.

You have to supply fresh oil to the two 12mm fittings on both sides of the engine block to lubricate the rotary valve drive gear.

If you don’t have any hoses going from the oil tank to both sides of the engine block then more than likely you don’t have oil going to the rotary gear. Yes that will ruin your engine.

So, let me ask you this. Did you happen to see this thing run before? Did you ride it in the water? Have you checked the compression? Excuse me if I missed that in another thread or something.

Just a thought but since it's hacked 9-ways to Sunday anyway and considering possibly it's not an easy task obtaining an entire replacement harness, MPEM, etc., how about using a single coil with dual output and abandoning the idea of dual coils? You'd need to confirm the coil is being fired 2x per revolution, of course.

My concern if this worked, would be the ignition advance curve might be poorly matched, so there's a potential gotcha.

Last edited:
Ive now confirmed that there is a tube going from the bottom of the oil tank to the eninge and on the other side there is going a tube from the engine and to the top of the oil tank

There are lots of other electronic ignitions that will work on these engines. That one could have been just what was available or popular at one time but it looks like a programable unit.
It's best to replace it all and know what you have. So to order the stuff you will need a complete wiring harness, rear electrical box and wires, front electrical box and all wire inside of it. Maybe some of the switches if they have been modified at all.

The fire on one side is easy to test. Take one wire from the one good coil and connect it to the other coil if it makes the bad side fire you have a bad coil, if not, check the wire from the bad coil to the cdi box. If it's good then likely the cdi box is bad.

Also with that setup you would likely need a ground from the coils to the engine casing if there isnt one.

Another thing is maybe your battery is dropping too low and that cdi box can't fire both plugs.

ill buy a used mpem box with all the wiring inside it and a rear ebox with all the fuses and solenoid and coil inside it :) i have some wiring inside the jetski allready, im sure i can mix and make it work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back