Seadoo GSX RFI 1999, battery charging problem SOS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndmp2002

I have a problem with 12V low, battery charging
first i replaced the rectifier and everything was fine for one weekend then i got 12v low again, it was end of the season i did not do anything. since i replaced rectifier i figure it probably is magneto and i got used magneto from working ski, when i replaced it i still have same problem, it would not charge. Than i tried my old rectifier and i got 13.3v to 13.5v.
i was not lazy and i tried my magneto again with my old rectifier and it was charging 14.5v but it is not always the same, one time i start it it will charge, next time will not. Now i have two rectifiers and two magnetos but i am not sure what is good or bad, can anybody help me with testing the rectifier and magneto as well. I have pulled magnetos and rectifiers 3-4 times and iam getting tired of it. both magnetos are showing .6 - .7 oms resistance between yellow wires when ski is not running, can anybody give me idea how to test rectifier when is taken out of ski and also how to test magneto while ski is running. I really need to test both parts since i have replaced it a few times and like i said one time is charging and next time is not. Please Help

first off, you must have a good battery, completely charged up, this system is unlike a vehicle with an alternator, its sorta primitave, using a magneto and rectifier, secondly, its controlled by 2 fuses,one in rear electrical box, (20 amp) and one in mpem, (15 amp), then, Start engine.
volt reading should be 13.0 to 13.5 volts at around 3500 rpms - if you have over 15 volts, replace rectifier, i check with an inductive ampmeter lead at positive battery lead and an rfi motor should have 5 amps charging, now a dynamic test of your magneto, each yellow lead of your magneto should read between 45 -70 a/c volts (must change your scale over to a/c volts) at 3500 rpms, now a bench test of your magneto, should be between .1 - 1.0 ohms, with no continuity to black wire, or metal frame of magneto, repeat steps on all yellow wires --- again, battery must be good on this ski, and must be fully charged

I will test the battery today and probably buy new one at Battery Plus (sealed, gelsince one that I have is 2 years old (from Walmart) but it starts right up, it was missing some of the acid but i added the acid and charged it and it holds the charge, over a week ago i charged it and it is still good.
I did check online at BatteriesPlus and found two of them, is is ok even if it says gtx and i got gsx and which one should I get.

XTA16CL-B-BS Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery 1994 to 2007 GTX Sea-Doo Jet Ski or Watercraft
or
X2-16L X2Power® AGM Battery 1994 to 2007 GTX Sea-Doo Jet Ski or Watercraft

16CL is the correct size, without looking probably a difference in CCA's, BTW check Batteries Plus, there was a 20% off coupon.

Lou

Does. Anyone know where to buy a good rectifier, seadoo dealer is a little expensive close to $200.
I replaced a fectifier a year ago and new one worked first day for 3-4 hours, next day i took it out i got 12v low, what cold be burning rectifiers, i looked inside magneto and did not find any metal pieces or particles that could be causing the issues.
At this timme i replaced magneto and it two rectifiers seems to be bad. I am picking up a new battery tomorrow since mine had only 165 cranks and my understanding is that it should have 500-600. (Test says to replace it)

You can also upgrade to a 4-tec recitfier from here

http://www.osdparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=6&products_id=8

I bought one off of ebay on my old RFI and it didn't last one day. Luckly I was able to warranty it, but before I installed the new one I cleaned the mag cup, housing, and the stator itself. To this day its still going strong. Mine like yours visually didn't look that bad, but once I started wiping it down there was a lot of metal shavings in there. Also after I cleaned it I did the dynamic test where I was getting 45 to 50 volts AC before I was now getting 70 to 75 volts. Be sure to inspect the ends of the stator all the way around also. I found a small shaving stuck in the end of the stator and it looked to be rubbing the mag cup. It doesn't take much shavings to mess with the charging system on the RFI's

i bought one in st petersburg, i have to check my reciept and give you my adress on reciept, post a message tonight for me to remind me, ok ??? after 5 sometime

Be sure to inspect the ends of the stator all the way around also. I found a small shaving stuck in the end of the stator and it looked to be rubbing the mag cup

not sure if i am understanding it right, ends of stator that is on the mag cap rubbing on actual mag cap, i have checked inside after i removed stator and did not find anything, i checked a magnet to make sure that no shaving got stuck on the magnet but could not find anything. I am just afraid to burn another rectifier since i already replaced it once and new one got burned after a couple hours. this time i replaced the magneto and now i got to buy new rectifier, does OSDparts give any warranty on rectifier. this time i got to do it right.

No there was a metal shaving stuck in the end of the stator that I believe was rubbing the mag cup. I just know after I cleaned the stator and mag cup the a/c voltage coming from the stator was up about 20 volts when the engine was running.
I don't think OSD warranty's there rectifiers. I actually bought one off of ebay that had a warranty. I hate to send you there over OSDparts, but I like you hated to take the chance of burning another one up. The warranty recitifier I got from ebay has done great and is about to start its second season. I don't own the ski anymore, but my buddy I ride with does.

Attachments

• 787947stator.jpg
    787947stator.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all with great help and all tips, I am ready for the season, bad rectifier and i found a tiny shaving stuck in the stator so that was probably burning rectifiers (two of them)
i have a local place that sells rectifiers for about $65 same one that on other sites they charge $100 or more, if anybody needs one let me know, i also have extra stator that i purchased but did not use it since mine is ok.

BIG Thanks :hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back