Seadoo 2006 RXP leaking oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urban Vain

Hi - bought a used Seadoo 2006 RXP, last summer and it worked perfectly all summer long. We had a local marina pick it up for winterizing, and just got it back on the weekend. First time out this season and there was a beeping sounds and then the oil light came on. We checked and it appears that the oil all drained out, there also appears to be a crack between the oil filler tube and crank case, between the two bolts. Is this due to normal wear and tear or could something have happened during winterization?

Can you post pictures? Maybe run down to autoparts store and get a coolant tester take a sample and see if you've got a good mix of coolant and water. Most of the testers will give you a reasonable idea of where your freezing mark is.

You mentioned that the all the oil drained out, did it all end up at the bottom of the bilge? You also mentioned that you found a crack in the oil fill tube, is this where the oil is leaking out? Have you determined how the oil is leaving the engine?

As bmann stated, check the coolant to determine if any oil has contaminated it and to check for proper mix and protection level. If you determine that the coolant system is intact, then you need to figure out how the oil is getting out of the engine, if you have not already. I would clean up whatever oil is at the bottom of the ski, add the correct level of oil to the engine and let it sit overnight. If the oil level stayed steady and didn't leak out on its own, then I would start the engine on the trailer connected to the hose for a couple minutes and thoroughly observe in and around the engine. You should see where it is leaking from. With that information we can start to determine how to fix it. It could be something really simple such as a hose connection, but also something more serious.

If you dropped the ski off to your dealer end of last season in fully working condition, and it came back to you this spring with these problems I would certainly be skeptical of their work and the fault may rest with them. It may be worth a visit to their shop to discuss the issue with them, they may be willing to diagnose the problem for you (free) and then you can go from there. If a shop did this to my boat I would be hesitant to take it back to them to fix it. It really all depends on your level of mechanical know how with this ski, if you are comfortable diagnosing this yourself, all the better. If not, find someone you can trust to diagnose this for you and go from there.

Good luck, sure not the way any of us would want to start the season...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil leaking in bilge

There is a seal in the engine where the driveshaft enters. The part number is 420832648 and it's called "ball bearing with bellow". I had the same oil leak as you described and that was my problem. The dealer did the repair and the part alone cost me $125.54 No more oil in my bilge and everything is great now. I have a 2006 185 GTX SC

I had someone look at it this morning, and they showed me that it is the oil pump cover that is cracked? But, they aren't sure how this would happen, especially since it was fine going into storage, and this happened within 1 hour of it coming out of storage and being driven home on the water. Is your recommendations still something we should try, or now that we know it is a cracked oil pump cover is there something else we should do? Again, any thoughts on how this could have happened... I'm a single Mom, so this is way out of my league and I called the storage company who said it was nothing they did, it happened after we picked it up and drove it home! Will try and take/upload picture of crack as well.

While winterizing the ski there is nothing done to that particular part that broke. I'm thinking it was just pure coincidence on when it broke. I could be wrong. We'll be able to help you more once you upload the picture of the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back