Rudder?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK Sea-Doo

Ok, so when I drive straight with out moving the steering wheel for longer than 5-10 seconds my 2004 challenger 1800 starts swerving back and forth and can't drive in a straight line, so, is there any aftermarket rudder thing that would keep the boat in a straight line? I saw a Yamaha on eBay with something like this, I have this picture of it.... I wonder if this screws up performance and stuff, I don't know? So my question is? Is there anywhere I can buy something like this and does anyone already have one?? Thank you

pictureImageUploadedByTapatalk1372187313.849822.jpg

Ok, so when I drive straight with out moving the steering wheel for longer than 5-10 seconds my 2004 challenger 1800 starts swerving back and forth and can't drive in a straight line, so, is there any aftermarket rudder thing that would keep the boat in a straight line? I saw a Yamaha on eBay with something like this, I have this picture of it.... I wonder if this screws up performance and stuff, I don't know? So my question is? Is there anywhere I can buy something like this and does anyone already have one?? Thank you

pictureView attachment 20189

Here's one option. I don't have it so I can't say how it performs.
http://www.cobrajetsteering.com/ind...ering-start-other&catid=34:ordering&Itemid=80

The newer 4-tech skis have them mounted on the rear hulls on both sides.

Do the newer boats have something or nothing like what is pictured.

On the skis they raise out of the water around 35 mph or so eliminating drag.

Biff has the cobra tabs on his sportjet, and he had a mixed opinion on them.

Personally... I don't like the idea of the Cobra rudders. They are just something to hang down and catch on rocks, and logs. Besides... the cool thing about a jet, is it's maneuverability. The rudders kill some of that.

The swerving is the hull, and it's at a speed that it doesn't like. You may notice it listing to one side or the other. It will get better if you slow down, or speed up.

Yea, that is my other question, will it make it so while standing still it won't be able to do a 360, that's my favorite thing to do... Haha! I don't know on them... They seem like a good idea because when you let of the gas and steer a jetboat won't steer but if you have these it will continue to steer.. Idk.. I'm on the edge of purchasing them and I think it would be good but I don't know at the same time...

Hard to know the speed you're experiencing this phenomenon, my speedster is all over the place at no wake speeds unless I constantly move the wheel back and forth. Otherwise the short 14 foot boat can do 180's on it's own without turning the wheel.

I once had a jet boat and went for a ride on the rip-rap ashore because my electric fuel pump quit just as I began a turn. There also was a time and place when a rudder was being considered legally mandatory for jet boats, can't recall what happened.

I do kinda wish seadoo had mounted the reverse bucket right on the nozzle, reverse steering direction is completely opposite from the old jet boats, this still throws me off LOL. Some of those old boats had a mid-hull scag that really helped carve out turns and I think also helped low speed maneuvers.

Biff has the cobra tabs on his sportjet, and he had a mixed opinion on them.

Personally... I don't like the idea of the Cobra rudders. They are just something to hang down and catch on rocks, and logs. Besides... the cool thing about a jet, is it's maneuverability. The rudders kill some of that.

The swerving is the hull, and it's at a speed that it doesn't like. You may notice it listing to one side or the other. It will get better if you slow down, or speed up.

I did have mixed feelings about the CobraJet Steering, but overall it was worth the investment. Low speed steering was noticeably improved. High speed manuevers were still possible (spins etc)

What I would do is send an email to them. It will go directly to the founder/owner Jeff. He engineered the CobraJet Steering and the new Venom fins for the Yamaha boats. He may have a newer version that is larger. I would consider a larger version even though he has a bitter taste in his mouth with Merc Sportjet owners. But he is stll producing them.

I guess the first buyers 10 years ago didn't see as great of an improvement as the yamaha guys and they made a stink about it. Jeff is the type that will voice his opinion with no regard to business image. So he flat out stopped any further developement. Of course the SportJet market was no where near as large as the Yamaha market, so he put his money towards that group.

He now has competition in the Yamaha market with the Thrust Vectors being released a couple years ago. So he may be feeling that pinch too. Who knows. We have only had a hit on the bottom one time that caused any bend in them. They are stainless steel and super strong. I am just glad that they bent, before breaking the nozzle. I was able to bend it back with a pipe wrench.

Installation was easy, but the hardware is barely long enough to make the connections. Let me know if you have further questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not try yet on the water, but my first impression that will work and help with the steering at low speed, dispite the very low quality of the craftmanship. Looks like a oiece of shit any welder could do better job than Jeff. Piece did not fit right and I have to do several bending and adjustment to make it work.

Attachments

• 3C021BAF-F38E-4A90-A823-B7BCD9D07985.jpeg
    3C021BAF-F38E-4A90-A823-B7BCD9D07985.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 47
  • B4063379-3A16-4749-8CA7-CF10CFF2FD74.jpeg
    B4063379-3A16-4749-8CA7-CF10CFF2FD74.jpeg
    706.2 KB · Views: 46
I had them put on my boat. I personally like them as I can stay in neutral or low speed and still control the boat. Also since adding them i can go in reverse in a straight line (backing out of launch dock) which I could never do before. One minor issue I have with them is with tight turns at higher speeds it does drag and slow the boat down a bit. I can compensate for this with adding thrust as I go in to the turn. The thrust vectors and new cobra steering models will actually lift up the fins at higher speeds. Unfortunately due to my older boat neither of them would work with my older style nozzles due to the cut out in the nozzle.
I also didn't want to mess up my nozzles by incorrectly drilling holes in it for the screws so i sent mine in and let Jeff install them. He provides free labor and only charges you shipping to send the nozzles/fins back to you. Mine are fairly small and do not extend past the bottom of the hull.

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
Finnaly i try the cobra rudder at the lake,
In high speed the steering wheel has some pressure and hard to turn, in low speed work better than not having nothing, was very easy do dock and put boat on the trailer... i have notice some rust at the metal... not sure if is normal or a bad grade of the stainless steel

It sure looks like it is going to put a lot of stress on your steering nozzle.

That's the point, is to put more pressure on the nozzle. It is the only force steering your boat, and with it, will allow your steering efforts to be better put to the water. These nozzles are designed for the force of that the jet pump.

Honestly after all the years that we ran that X20 with them, there was never an issue due to the quality of the fins, hardware or the steering nozzle. And the one in the photos above looks like a return that was fixed. Mine was in much better condition than that one.

I believe some can be well made, i saw some pictures of a good ones.... but I liked the results of steeringBC80064E-61E3-4CFF-B010-F80841C627C8.jpeg
The extra hole at the back is because i could not push further foward because of the shape of the nozzle, so i only use 3 screws on each side.

Those welds look horrible. If done right the should not have to grind them down, which is opening the stainless and making it susceptible to rust... I'd bet its only 430 stainless.

If you clean it up I would recommend giving it a spray coating of stainless steel or even a silver or zinc oxide primer.

Those welds look horrible. If done right the should not have to grind them down, which is opening the stainless and making it susceptible to rust... I'd bet its only 430 stainless.

If you clean it up I would recommend giving it a spray coating of stainless steel or even a silver or zinc oxide primer.

Was not a pleasant surprise when i open the box... I did not know if I laugh or cry....
but... works in slow speed... good for docking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back