Rub Rail work

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RFoster130

Premium Member
Premium Member
I finally got the boat out this past weekend. It is running great and we had a blast. Only managed to break 1 small thing. I had it tied up to the dock for 3 days. Even with the bumpers on, it managed to get roughed up some. There is a section of about a foot where the rub rail had popped loose. It isnt just the rubber insert out of the track. It is the whole rail actually popped loose from the boat. I guess the rocking motion against the bumpers just worked it loose. It has a spot where it looks like about 5 of the rivets have pulled through. I havent looked enough to know if the head of the rivets pulled through or if they snapped off. I am thinking the heads pulled through.

Anyone done a repair like this? I am guessing I can drill out the rivets and just put new ones in. If the heads pulled through the holes, can i just upgrade to a bigger rivet? I will try to get it uncovered this week and take pics of the damage. It also roughed up the gel cote a bit but I know how to fix that.

I tried searching here for rub rail replacement but didnt turn up much. I know i have seen it discussed before though.

i agree that there not much information on this subject . I am in the middle of this job . drilled off all the pop rivet head and removed the rub rail . some of the rivets were loose and easily came out but most others did not come out . drilled rivets flat to hull . i was planning to use stainless screws to install the new one in . haven't decided yet .

Install the rail with rivets. The rail is part of the hull seal... and it (for the most part) holds the top deck to the lower hull.

SO... if you have broken rivets, remove them, and put in new... AND... put RTV on it, so it seals in the hole.

Putting the center in isn't too hard, but it's easier to do if it's warm out. (Bends easier) Put the bottom rail in... then push it down with a large, flat screwdriver, and work the top into the rub rail.

When I redid my boat... I tried a few methods... and that worked the best.

Thanks Tony. I figured that would work best. I only took the boat out 1 other time and it was fine. I figured I would deal with it over the winter. Ill take some pics of the repair and post em here for future reference. I was going to just pick up a rivet gun at harbor freight. Any idea what size rivets work best?

i purchased a brand new original rub rail and the holes DO NOT MATCH with the original . Which would make it impossible the use the rivets in the same holes . I decided to seal everything and install the rub rail with # 10 stainless screws . Bigger job than i expected . I am on my second day and really burnt out .

Putting the center in isn't too hard, but it's easier to do if it's warm out. (Bends easier) Put the bottom rail in... then push it down with a large, flat screwdriver, and work the top into the rub rail.

After you suggested this to me a couple weekends ago, I went home and tried it... It took under 5 minutes to get the rail popped back in. Thanks once more Doc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back