Rough Spot In Throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing with my carbs since I cleaned them, got great advice, it's going pretty well, but I've got one spot in my throttle that my ski just runs really rough. It's like it's missing on every other stroke or one cylinder isn't firing maybe. I can't say that's not it's typical feel, it may have always been like that, but it's really not something I'd expect to be "normal'. I'm guessing here, but ⅓-½ throttle, it doesn't run right at all. I can't find the exact carb adjustment from SeaDoo for the year and I wouldn't care except from SeaDoo the 96 is different than the 98, and 97 only lists Limited models, and XP/HSX are different by at least ½ turn across 3 years for the same engine. Like the XP 787 is 1 turn out and the HSX is 1 ¾ out, the GSX in 1996 is 1½, 1998 it's 1¼. I'm 1¼+ a little with the high speed just cracked open. Maybe a 1/16. I'm gonna replace the coil and wires soon with a little hotter set. I lost a bit of speed at this point. I was hitting 62-63, airbox off it was just too lean no matter what but I was hitting 64-65. Now I'm at 60. I don't really care about that top speed other than it's a performance metric. For cruising with slower skis, ½ throttle is about my 20-30mph range, so I'd like to get it a little better running, but I stuck with advice and put it close to "stock" and don't want to keep messing with carbs and possibly doing damage. Plus adjusting with the air box on its almost impossible. I can't think of anything else besides spark here unless I'm that far off adjustments for the year. I can put a picture up for stock adjustments from my SeaDoo manual or SBT if someone wants to see what I'm talking about, but most skis are that 1⅓ out adjustment, so the advice I already got should be damned close. I'm only bringing it up because it's what I've been messing with. I had a plugged filter and fixing that fixed the first problem I had. I'm hoping it's a spark issue now. I noticed a big change opening my plugs up a little, could closing them up help with a weaker spark? Maybe that's the issue? It's really only that one spot in the throttle that's an issue.

Load test the battery, cut the plug wires back 1/4 inch,,,check for a nice bright blue spark on the plugs,

Load test the battery, cut the plug wires back 1/4 inch,,,check for a nice bright blue spark on the plugs,
All of that is good except I haven't done the coil side of the wires though because the wires are built into a clip that attaches to the coil. I know it's running a little rich and loads up with the low speed out 1¼, so I'm wondering if it's flooding. I had more power with the airbox off but would've had to remove the high speed covers to get it rich enough. Considering it's stock for another couple months it didn't seem worth the hassle. I'm pretty frustrated in general with this ski right now.

I meant for you to pull the plug capa back,,and cut the wires back there 1/4 inch,,,nit at the coil,,,thise clips always break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back