RFI MPEM 5A Fuse blows - problem found

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, is there a picture of where the diode is located on an mpem of an xp 1997, mpem number 278-001-078 please ?

Cable polarity got reversed, or jump started ski from a running vehicle. (AC amperage)

In my case it's happen in middle of the lake with half engine load. I fix it and now it's work! There is some photo. I find reason why this happen. It is one fuse in high voltage box. It get water and start burning and as result connection impedance goes up.When engine work, battery work as big capacitor. When connection lost MPEM get high voltage spikes from generator. My suggestion is check this connection before replace or fix MPEM. Many thanks and good luck!

Attachments

• DSC03285a.jpg
    DSC03285a.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC03276a.jpg
    DSC03276a.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC03281a.jpg
    DSC03281a.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 522
  • DSC03283a.jpg
    DSC03283a.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC03284a.jpg
    DSC03284a.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 512
Does anybody have pics of the old style mpem? The 278-000-821 family? With just the plastic backing and rubber/potting on the top? Im having the same issur with a used ski and not sure where the diode is located.

Does anybody have pics of the old style mpem? The 278-000-821 family? With just the plastic backing and rubber/potting on the top? Im having the same issur with a used ski and not sure where the diode is located.

With the wires to right, exactly between the two fuse holders, but next to/in front of them. The MR2535L diode is directional, big & round, circular stripe on left side, just like the picture in post #62 of this URL:
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread....ighlight=mpem+secrets+revealed+for+first+time

Want to let everybody know that the diode replacement went fine on my ski. I sealed it up with silicone calking and re-installed the MPEM with a new 5A fuse and started right up. This was back in July, but I didn't write about it because I have new problems now. After replacing all the fuel lines and cleaning fuel filters, I was about to rebuild my twin carbs. Carberator mtg bolt is frozen (afraid to heat with a torch - boom). Thats when I discovered that all 4 engine mounts were broken too. I gave up in dispair but I'll fix it for next season.

Someone here at the site had a set OEM for sale. Not sure of the fit but worth looking at. Also, another member sells better than OEM quality aftermarkets as well,,,

well i ordered my diodes. should be here this week. i will keep everybdy updated. thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update! Got two diodes, installed one exactly like the old one was. Bam still pops the five amp fuse when the stator is plugged in. If i unplug the stator and run a ground from the negative batt T to the ground post on the ebox it still blow the fuse. Help? I beleive the stator tested normal as per the service manual. Any ideas would be awesome. Ill even PM you my phone number if it makes it easier to resolve this issue since the wife is breathing down my neck...lol

You should physically inspect the 657 engine Stator and Flywheel. (install new cover seal) Look for discolored coils, shards, & loose magnet plates.

Ok, ill pop the flywheel off this evening and lookin into ut. Hopefully find something. Its a 587 engine as well. Its a 94 gtx hull/ ski with a 587 sp powerteain. Also im confused about the fact that if i discounect the stator and run a ground from the battery to the mpem the fuse still pops. Would that mean its not the stator?

Last edited by a moderator:
im new to all this but I have a 2001 gtx di, think I have the same problem, how do I go about testing the mpem?

What was the diode number that you bought? I have a 2004 GTI LE.

QUOTE=mmuzzatti;212257]All,

Read this forum...I just did it and fixed it! I bought the diode from Amazon.com. I thank you for saving me $400.00! If anybody needs directions I would be happy to walk you through it.[/QUOTE]

I have a 2004 gti LE and I am trying to repair my MPEM. When I dug out the diode I can't make out all the numbers. It says 6A 028 4. That number doesn't appear anywhere in any of the research I've seen online. Does anyone know what diode I need to buy?

Heavy duty diode

How long did the 1 kv 6 amp diode work in the MPEM repair that you did? I am looking for a heavier duty diode to replace MR2535L (5 amp fuse).

All,

Read this forum...I just did it and fixed it! I bought the diode from Amazon.com. I thank you for saving me $400.00! If anybody needs directions I would be happy to walk you through it.

Hi, I have a 278-001-496 mpem that is blowing the 5A fuse, I want to replace the diode but wanted to know where on the mpem do I remove the potting material to access it. How did you do it?
Thanks!

okay new to the forum, and not sure if this is where i want to post but i am having similar issues as everyone else on here. I have a 96 sea doo spi and i was jump starting it because the battery was weak and sure enough the 5 amp fuse blew, so i put a new fuse in and it started up out of water twice, dropped it in the water and started it and pop...fuse blew again. i switched it one more time and tried it again and the fuse blew again. so i read around on various forums and decided to pull my mpem because supposedly a bad diode is a common issue, i cleaned out all the black filler and found the diode and tested it only to find that it is still good (according to my multimeter). What do i do next???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back