RFI MPEM 5A Fuse blows - problem found

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a MPEM that is blowing the 5A fuse for the 951 engine they are going to thow out? I would like to see if I can make the repair and if so I would be willing to post the How-To on this site. Thanks!

There is a "How To" on the forum already for this fix. Most people who know how to do it, will still send them out to someone like "Allthingscustom"... It's all because of the potting. Most people can change out the diode that blows out, allowing power to run upstream. The purpose of the diode is kinda like a check valve. The biggest problem I had in trying to do this for myself was the potting. Those that I know who do it, use a chemical solution to soften the potting to remove it. But, with my mechanical background, they did not want to share that info in fear I'd start doing it.........LOL......not likely. I hate electrical work.

The mpem in the above post was from a '95 657x GTX, the '95 XP is the same mpem. The diode is right in front of the fuse holder, you can see all the wires. I drill a 1/8" small hole on the backside, just thru the plastis cover and apply air-chucked into the hole and the cover just comes off the black electrical potting. Use a dremel and small pics to find and reveal the diode, then on back just where each end goes thru
the circuit board, so you can de-solder. One guy said he cut the diode shaft and removed the barell, then resoldered the new diode up in the air a little and didn't bother the back. He said he used RTV gooped on it to secure it from vibration, thinking he might need to fix it again. An easy $5 fix to his 278000423 mpem. Hope that Pic works for you. Give us an up-date on your completeion.

I do have the pics still, you can give me your email and I'll send them to you if you want. Bills86e is pretty spot on though!

Travis

Does anyone know what the diode would be for the RFI MPEM mine only state SK0.4/06 or SK0406which I can not find anywhere? If I know the values I could buy an alternative? Any help would be great?

For anyone who has the same problem and not knowing what diode to use, mine stated sk0406 which the electrical guys could not trace, in the end I found out the spec for this component is 640V 5A, I could not get this exact spec and put in a 1Kv 6Amp and it works like a bomb, I had the jetski out all weekend and it got a good thrashing with absolutely no problems whatsoever. No more blown fuses and starts first time every time.Hope this helps

I just order the MR2535 from Amazon, cost more for shipping than the part did. Anyway will let you know if mine worked. I have a 2003 GTI that my retarded self used a jump box to try and start...my fault nobody else's! On that note can anybody tell me what I should use to seal the unit back up after I am done. I thought of just going to Home Depot and picking up a tube of silicone or something like that.

I would suggest marine silicon (silicon that can be used in/under water) and make sure you seal it very very well. Any home depot type place should have it.

All,

Read this forum...I just did it and fixed it! I bought the diode from Amazon.com. I thank you for saving me $400.00! If anybody needs directions I would be happy to walk you through it.

So apparently , using the jumper box while its still in the water is the cause for this diode to blow ? Mine started ,after a jump. I drove it around for a few minutes and then it shut off. Keeps blowing the 5 amp fuse. So diode or stator ? 01 GTS

Hi guys,
My 2003 GTX 4-tec supercharged has the same problem.
I put it into the water, drove it for 5 minutes and then it shut down. I have no idea what I did wrong that make that happen..
What do you mean by the "using the jumper box while still in the water"? what's the "jumper box"?

do you have pictures, i am having the same issue on my 97 spx a little different mpem than what was pictured

Help with Seadoo MPEM. Need info on diode/resistor number in your picture? Thanks

In your picture you also replaced a diode/resistor to the left. I cut that one out thinking that was the MR2535 Auto Transient Suppressor Diode. Do you rememeber the number on the other diode/resistor you replaced? Thanks,

Ryan Smith

One of my 2001 GTX RFI's started blowing the 5A Fuse on the MPEM. After replacing the entire unit with a used one I decided to try and find the problem with the original. After opening the MPEM and spending a few hours of carefully scrapping out and removing the black rubber stuff, the circuit board was able to be removed from the housing. Another hour of carefully scrapping some of the same black stuff from the board revealed an Automotive Transient Suppressor Diode (MR2535) that was shorted to ground causing the fuse to blow. The component is located very near to the fuse location (See attached pic). The replacement part was ordered online for about $4 + shipping along with some circuit board potting compound (the black rubber stuff). Once the diode was replaced the unit was tested and worked fine. The board was placed back into the housing and was re-potted. It is now in the watercraft and has been working fine all season. Hopefully this post will help some of the do-it- yourselfers save a few $$ if you have the same problem.

I tried to jumpstart my 95 GTI like a dummy. It would not start after that. I troubleshot, found blown 5A fuse, blew the spare, then tested all wires in the MPEM via ShopManual and found red wire (ring lug) shorted to black wire(ring lug). Thanks to this thread, I discovered a blown diode (MR2535L) and think I will be up and running soon. Here is what I want to add; I tried to dig out the diode but its tough...until I headed the potting with a heat gun, which made it possible to scrape it out. My diode was located next to the 15A fuse right between two yel/red wires. Radio Shack didn't carry this diode, but did have 5A fuses. I'll get the diode online and write back if it works, but the new MPEM was $400 so I'm really greatfull for this forum! I'm thinking of potting with silicone calking to save $; is that a bad idea? I'm not sure it needs potting at all, until the electronic enclosure leaks, which mine never has.

Yes, silicone is nessessary as moisture IS airborne, and that could easily damage the tripple layers circuit board components. If you'd ever need to get inthere again it'd be quickly done! OEM Parts Inc about $20 shipped, Ph 719-6350771. Its a one way diode, so orient the new one in same direction. Take a Pic before you remove the old one. Note the color ring faces away from all the color coded wires. GodLuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back