Revs to 3500 then dies

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLars

So as some of you know, I took my 97 gtx out today for the first time. It ran great all day until now. I was running it fine, and then turned it off to switch drivers. I started it back up and now it will rev to 3500 fine and after I give it more throttle the exhaust becomes extremely loud and the ski slowly dies down to 3000 rpm. Any ideas what could cause this?

And just something to add that all fuel lines have been replaced with black automotive lines.

it sounds like u may have an exhaust leak,(the loudness).and it could aslo explain the lack of revs(the exhaust choking out the the clean air in the hull).

I don't know about a leak. I checked all plugs in the exhaust and all seem fine. It's just weird because it was fine one second then I turned it off and back on and then it happened. Also if it was a leak wouldn't the hull be full of smoke? There is no smoke in the hull. Would it still be okay to drive at lower rpms back to the boat launch?

im talkin bout one of the exhaust hoses havin a hole in it. I didn't see any "smoke" in mine either,but it choked out on carbon monoxide.
feel around the rubber pieces of the exhaust for soft spots,thats how I found my leaks.
,as far as driving back to the launch,its a crap shoot.if its not the exhaust,and ends up bein a lean condition,it could hurt the engine.
maybe take the seat off n ride it,CAREFULLY,

Rode it in and constantly checked the engine compartment. I don't think the engine overheated because it never beeped at me. When I got it on the trailer I noticed a large string of seaweed. I pulled it out and put it back in and the noise was gone but now the engine will only rev to 3000. When I give it gas it now bogs down. I noticed after riding that the large exhaust hose was much softer than before riding. Any specific way to check for a leak?

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure you got all the blockage out of the pump? look through the grate underneath too

There is still a small piece wrapped around the drive shaft. Would that be keeping the engine from revving all the way?

I was thinking more like a stick or something more substantial than a piece of seaweed. Although I have sucked up seaweed that has caused me to go nowhere until I got it shook loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got home from the lake today and just checked the jetski which is now on the trailer. The pump looks clean and could not find any sticks or seaweed in there. I felt the large hose that connects the metal exhaust cylinder to the exhaust exit hole. The front of it feels fine but the back of a certain portion of the hose is extremely soft and feels like the hose delaminated into two sheets.

Also does anyone know where to buy another exhaust hose? Because obviously my hose shouldn't feel like it's about to pop. BRP parts says they are no longer available.

Also does anyone know where to buy another exhaust hose? Because obviously my hose shouldn't feel like it's about to pop. BRP parts says they are no longer available.

send a PM to Minnetonkaforme, he may have one

I know I need a new exhaust hose, but I want to make sure what caused this wont happen again. I'm wondering if the ski was getting cooled properly so I planned on bringing it to the dealer anyways. Turns out they were too busy for my service and recommended another company. Found out this "other company" is just a small business run by one local guy, so maybe i'll get a better deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back