97 gtx wont rev passed 4500 until i hit a wake then takes off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

kyke1529

I have a 97 gtx with the 787 I have rebuilt the carbs with genuine mikuni parts I have replaced all fuel lines and filter I have cleaned out all debris out of fuel tank it runs fine out of water but only revs to 4500 in water until I get the jetpump out of the water by hitting a wake or something and then it takes off and revs to 6500 np and will stay there till you let off the throttle please help I've been trying to figure this out since last summer

Have you had a look at the rave valves? I have a 97 GSX with the 787 and was having the same issue, would barely get over 4500 rpm. I’ve also read that it could be the rectifier

I have looked at them and cleaned them they were really gunky and it seems the ports are gunky also what's the best way to clean the holes they go in?

That build up is from using improper oil, mine were the same way, really gunned up and that’s what was causing my rpm issue of having a hard time getting over 4500 rpm. I can’t really remember how I cleaned the rave valve housing. I think I just stuffed some blue shop rags down in there to stop any large chunks from falling in and then just used brake and parts cleaner and a toothbrush, vacuumed out the holes before removing the shop towels. You could take the cylinder head and cover off to clean them if you wanted. Did you check the bellows for any holes? Really sounds like it could be the raves not opening up. I mean it could be other things like the rectifier or possibly a carb issue.

I am having a very similar issue. Is there a way to test the Raves?? Also, if the oil light is on, will that make the GTX not start? I rebuilt the carbs today and got it running. Shut the ski down then my wife walked came out to see how I was doing. I said "watch this" and crank, crank, crank..... would not fire.... She jinxed me!!! Any ideas? Thanks

could be sticking rav valves as the guys have mentioned,,,but could also be fuel/carb related,,,fuel pump check valves, fuel pump plastic diaphrams,,even the plastic clear anti-syphon valves,,,leave no stone unturned with the rav valves and those carbs.

Back