95 GTX - sluggish top end - then takes off after hitting a boat wake

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmatson

1995 GTX, fully rebuilt carbs with genuine Mikuni kits, new fuel lines, removed/cleaned tank, new petcock, new fuel filter.

Spent about 8 hours on the water this weekend and it never died on me or bogged down, but it would top out at ~15-20mph at WOT... that is, until I hit any sort of wake or bump. After "bumping" the ski, I could hear a complete change in the RPMs as if the impact from going over a boat wake un-stuck something in the carb.

Once this happened, the ski would run perfectly with full power as long as I kept the throttle pinned above 75%. I had it cruising nicely at 45 mph, for long durations and it never dipped or dropped in power, so fuel delivery didn't seem to be an issue. Once I dropped back down below the 75% throttle mark or went back to idling, I would have to repeat the process of finding another boat's wake to get her back up to speed.

I'm going to take off the carbs and go through them again, any recommendations for what to check? Pop-off pressure is the only thing that comes to mind for something that could be affected by a bouncing ski...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back