Reversing The Trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Farrer

I have a Honda SUV and found when reversing the trailer with the ski off you can't see the darn trailer.
Thinking of putting a piece of PVC tubing on the trailer as a guide, any other suggestions.

post on each side

i have welded a post on each side of the back of the trailor, not only can you see it now but when loading up the ski on the bayou, you can tell where the end of your trailor is

I've been wondering about the same thing. Guide-ons are crazy expensive. I've seen them at around $60-$100. The thought of making my own crossed my mind but not sure how to go about it yet. Till then dropping the tailgate to back it up will have to do :driving:

Opening the tail gate is not an option for me as I have a Honda CRV with a rear door not a tailgate.
The suggestion by flixachef was a good one, it is nice to see some people use their brains and offer realistic advice.
I ended up mounting a piece of copper tube on the side of the trailer and have used a small flag on a pole like small kids use on their bikes and the elderly on their wheelchhairs.
Works a treat and now I can see what the trailer is doing when reversing it with the ski off.

I would go with the pvc guides.

396_jetski.jpg

Home made guide ons

We had the same problem seeing the trailer with ski in the water. So I came up with a fix that was not to expensive. I bought a stick 10' of 1" metal conduit cut it in half bent with benders at 12" to 90 degrees couple of clamps also got 1 stick 10' of 1.25" PVC cut in half painted red plastic paint slid over conduit all for less than $20.00.:cheers::cheers:

ive seen guys find a fiberglass whips
like for marking driveways for snow
maybe those ones with reflectors on top, home depot maybe
a coulpe of u bolts mounted on plate were lights mount
my local parts supplier has be pushing these little back up cams
seen a comercial on tv for them, sold by PEAK
69 OR 99 DOLLARS with mail in rebate ,different screen sizes
color cam and wireless connection, mounts to tag bracket
just a thought
mud

Cheapest to most expensive options...

Open the hatch, turn around and look at it...
Get some of the snow plow guide driveway reflectors as mentioned above and secure to trailer..
Get a reverse camera set up..

Get a back up camera. They are awesome I have one built into the license plate frame that goes to my in dash dvd player. My avalanche sits too high to see behind it. It works out great. Keeps me from backing over women and small children. It comes on when I put the truck in reverse, or i can manually turn it on.

They make a wirelss system that come with its own little lcd screen and you can find them for like $65.

Yep..I also have one that is mounted in my bed, in-between tailgate and bumper..it plugs into my Alpine in dash DVD system..its nice while driving as well TL be able to see the ski and know it's nice and secure still after hitting bumps or traveling longer distances..and just pretty sweet in general to have..
I had one back in 01-02 when they were brand new and unheard of..people used to be amazed by it..I used to get out of tickets by showing the cop his car and flashing lights on a 7" screen on the dash haha
And yes they do make very reasonably priced all in one units now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back