Replacing all oil injection lines for 951

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

drjack

I know this has been mentioned before someplace, but I'm not having zero luck locating the information.
I'm interested in replacing all the oil lines for my 951 carb Sportster boat. The microfiche shows 8mm and 12mm " as required length" . The consensus shows many individuals switching to a clear Tygon fuel line, which does not appear to be available in metric.
Anyone can tell me the fractional I.D. sizes needed and roughly the lengths needed to convert these lines?

THere is no reason to replace the 8 & 12mm lines.

The only ones you need to replace are the little 3/32" lines from the oil pump to the intake manifold.

Even Home Depot has it in their hose/fitting section. 3/32" tygon fuel line.

3/32" ID Tygon F-4040-A for the small oil lines, "as required length" means "cut to length". My small oil lines were still in pretty good shape actually when I replaced them with metric nylon tubing.

I'm under the impression these lines can get brittle and risk breaking. Considering the boat is 18 years of age....well, need I say more.

There's truth to that, especially the small 3/32" ones. Those on my 951 year before last were most damaged if you will, as they pass over the top of the magneto housing in my opinion due to the heat in this location. They really were not terrible, but notably stiffer in this location.

All the other lines are well away from heat sources were quite soft and pliable, didn't have signs of deterioration or swelling like you might find from tubing transporting hydrocarbons inside. I changed none of these.

So in my opinion, if you want to replace your smaller 3/32" lines and clean the manifold injection nozzles it's your call, I'm all for it in the name of preventative maintenance. I did change mine although I believe they were in remarkable condition considering their age, perfectly functional. That's what I discovered in my case. I didn't remove the carbs but if they were off for rebuild anyway, it would've been easier.

In the case of the larger tubing, I doubt seriously you need new lines, might want to clean the tank, replace the oil strainer element and purge any air bubbles that might cause the oil pump to malfunction. My larger oil lines were mostly oriented in such a way the air bubbles quickly found their way into the oil tank, except for the portion very near the oil pump.

Any questions or concerns you might identify, just give a shout! :)

How serendipitous, I just stopped at the home despot to pick up some replacement pump to manifold line. Less than $5 and it'll probably do two skis.

Mine are fine, but given the age of what is likely the originals (15 years), it's a small cost for large insurance.

As an aside, I cleaned out my neighbor's string trimmer carb a few days ago, and pulling the apparently good similar lines off resulted in one of them crumbling into three, inch long pieces. This is a definite 'might as well as' replacement.

Funny though, notice they have the ID/OD reversed on the package contents... [emoji16]
cda64ea0efa1ff9df26393dba56dc1a7.jpg
60aef2e032905abe158775538aadba9a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back