Removing engine from 1999 xpl

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyfever

So when I went to winterize my 99 xpl it would not turn over. It was running fine last time it was used was 2 months ago. So I pulled the pump to make sure that wasn't the problem and still no movement. I tried to take starter off and broke off both bolts. So I'm thinking I will pull the engine and take a look. Any tips u guys would like to share on pulling engine and checking to see what seized up in the first place?
I already disconnected the pipe and removed the carbs
I think the next move is to remove the c clip on the drive shaft so I can pull shaft put amd just lift motor straight up.
Thanks In Advance for any help.

Ok.thank u , I'm sure its well over that. Time for full rebuild. Which I've never done, so I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

Ok so I went to remove shaft so I could just lift motor straight up but I have to take rear shaft out and take apart the shock assembly and the seat to remove front shaft. Is it possible to remove engine mount bolts and move engine forward enough to save taking all that apart?

you don't need to do any of that on a XP.... there is a coupler at the PTO that joins to the shaft that goes through the fuel tank.

litterally unhook the engine and lift it up, moving it forward about 1-2"

I've swapped more engines in/out of 951s than I can recall... but never got around to making a video...

dont forget to take off the cooling line that's like dead bottom of the engine and starter power cable.

Ok. So I got the motor out and it appears the bendix is stuck in the flywheel. Maybe this is the problem or maybe it stuck after the motor seized and I tried to start it? Anyway to check this without pulling the flywheel? I dpnt have the right puller for the job. Can I try to tap the bendix back and see what happens? Both bolts broke trying to get starter out so I have them soaking now and will hopefully have starter off today. 20201108_120326.jpeg

Bendix won’t come out without pulling the flywheel but you might be able to wiggle it back in.

Stsrter still seized to motor wasnt able to free it yesterday. Just more time needed for penatrant to work i guess. No luck trying to wiggle the drive back from the teeth either. I will keep posting my progress.

Ok so finally removed starter and starter seems to be working fine. Does this mean its the motor for sure? Bendix is still stuck in teeth of flywheel. Waiting for tool to come to pull it

Ok. Should have tried to wiggle bendix out of flywheel right away. It popped right out. So engine is definitely locked up. Does anyone have a recommendation for engine rebuild in canada? Not sure of shipping costs to US.

Have you pulled the head off to inspect the cylinder walls? Any scoring? Pistons look ok? Also, if you remove the reeds, you should be able to see "inside" the lower end. Any rust, water, nasty in/around the crank? You can kind of get a pretty good idea if the motor is salvageable by just taking a few more items off.

So I finally got around to taking head off. No scoring at all on walls of piston. The rear piston did have a little pitting on top. Head looks perfect. I'm guessing it is the crank itself the siezed up. 20201206_185232.jpeg20201206_190800.jpeg

Might have gotten lucky. Any idea how many hours on it?
Over time the 951 piston skirts start to collapse and are done even though they aren’t seized.
If nothing else you should have the cylinders measured by a machine shop and see if they are within spec.

Probably close to 200 I'd say. It was running "normal" prior to this but left at camp for a couple months before I got it home to winterize. So what should next step be? Take apart bottom end to look at crank to see if it is seized or try to remove cylinders to see if the piston is siezed to cylinder? Is there a simple way to check this? I started to remove the exhaust manifold and 2 bolts came and the rest didn't want to budge so I stopped because I broke the 2 off starter already. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back