Recommended maintenance on 97 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall1

I'm new to the world of PWC's, and recently aquired a 97 GTX as part of a lake house purchase. I've never owned one, but have done basic maintenance on outboards (carb rebuilds, water pump impeller replacements, etc). This GTX has been sitting for several months, possibly longer, and the only thing I know from the previous owner is that the oil injection has supposedly been bypassed. My questions are how I can verify that the oil injection has been bypassed, and what type of maintenance should I perform prior to starting and running it, and what type of cooling system does it have (does it have a rubber impeller like an outboard that needs to be replaced)? Thanks in advance!

your cooling system is done by the lake. You can hook a hose to it, to verify no blockage, the "tell-tale" hole , where the tow ring is, is shooting water out.

Since sitting for sometime, i'd pull the sparkplugs, spray wd-40 down in there, then start pulling the carbs off to go thru them, and the reverse bucket and steering nozzle, to drain the oil out of the pump and refill with syn 75w-90..(found at auto store).

As for the oil injection being bypassed, first make sure you have oil in the resivoir, then locate the oil line with the "white" filter inline, then find the end of that line, if its blocked off, then your good...:cheers:

Gas can go bad in three weeks or so without Stabilizer. I advise syphoning the old
out, swab the tank, and refill only when you get the cleaned carbs in and you are
getting ready to actually take it riding. Read up on maintaining your ski, a Factory Service manual is your Best Buddy! Air chuck out the fuel lines and replace them if they are the "grey" original ones. Clean the Rave valves. I know this sounds like alot of effort & work, but it will pay off in the long run, trust me. Like #2 said, go thru the carbs, leak-down test them after reassenbly, and white lithium grease all over them & the cables. Grease the zerk (s) the intake grate, wear-ring and prop (rocks and debris will pass thru water inlet & nozzel with less damage). Keep the engine compartment clean and open your seat to look and smell for any gas leak. Read up on fogging after rideing, and put away proceedures. Read up on what "LEAN" means,
so that does not happen to you. ENJOY!

Thanks to both of you for the helpful advice. I'm a big advocate of preventative maintenance, especially not knowing much of the history on it, or exactly how long it's been sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back