Radio and Speaker locations/97 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm putting a roof on my lift to protect the boat cover from the hot sun here in florida. It's already in the mid to high 80's, so it is a priority. Than I have a Bimini top on order and has to be installed. hopefully before the weekend. I'm thinking maybe next week I'll tackle the stereo. I want to get a extra battery and 2 subs, a amp and replace the head unit with a unit with a wired remote. I'll keep ya posted on my progress.

Karl

Batteries

Thought i would post some pics of my own battery install, It's nearly winter here so i am planning all my upgrades, second battery, amps, subs, new motors, bilge clean, tank clean, jet pumps rebuild, etc, etc, etc.
I hope the surge protector will work if ever i do need to jump start, fingers crossed i don't, but i do believe in being prepared. At the moment i carry a jump pack in the dry area until i fit the second battery. If you can get this brand of battery, in our audio shop we have found it works better and lasts longer than most AGM(absorbed glass mat)batteries we have used like odysee, orbital and optima, and they cost heaps less.

Attachments

• 09042008 0051.jpg
    09042008 0051.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 09042008 0041.jpg
    09042008 0041.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 09042008 0071.jpg
    09042008 0071.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 09042008 0101.jpg
    09042008 0101.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you used a isolator before on any seadoo's charging systems to keep both batteries charged? I haven't done any research yet and thought you might have some ideas on what brand or company to go after. I have done tons of them on autos but not to the magneto system like on the seadoo's.

Had a chat to my electronics man and he suggested we use a Red Ark 100amp isolator. We should not have any drama's as it work's off the battery voltage rather than where the charge is coming from. The Red Ark 100amp sells for about $70AU so not to bad, probably lots cheaper over there.

extra info

Did some more research, Glad i could help.

Attachments

• smartstart-techspec.pdf
    652.8 KB · Views: 75
  • vs12switching.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 32
  • sbi_start_assist.pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 32
I was kind of curious about an isolater, but wasn't quite sure how it would work.
The research helped out a lot, I do have a question though, does this isolater connect between the starter battery and the auxillary, then switch between the two when the stereo is in use. I was wondering because if you place the isolator between the two, will it still allow the auxillary to charge from the doo's charging system.

scrump

I haven't really dug into the diagram yet as posted on the forum , but I will tomorrow when I get a chance. Typically the batteries receive a charge from the magneto and the isolator allows them to charge to capacity without over charging. You could either use a manual switch to control which battery you use, or in some cases use either 1 battery for the stereo and the other battery for the seadoo. The isolator controls total charge to the weakest battery, while charging both at the same time.

If I am not mistaken from what I read aux. draws from both batteries until voltage drops to a certain level. then isolator only allows voltage to be drawn from aux. battery. Once you start the engine and charging system is working and voltage is back to normal in starting battery then both batteries will be charging. I hope I did not miss read If I did some one will correct me I am sure. :cheers:

I'm sure your correct, that is the same way I interpreted, but me and directions don't get along sometimes. I am just more curious of the placement of the isolator or where it should be placed in relevance to the aux / primary batteries. If I see someone set it up and it works, I will do the same, I am just afraid of frying something that shouldn't get fried, I'm sure it will be hard enough to set this up without adding extra. My problem is lack of space, considering that both my batteries take up all the extra space on the sides of the engine compartment, I will have to build brackets and maybe not have the aux. in the engine compartment. If anyone has ideas I wiould be more than happy to hear them.

As always, Thanks,

Scott :confused: :agree:

Scott I have been in the custom business for over 33 years...oops am I giving my age away? Seriously, I have been the business since I was 14 years old. I own and operate a custom vehicle company that emphases around the physically challenged. I install battery isolators on a regular basis for my clientell, at least 5 times a year a year. When I install my system, in my 200 speedster I will take some pictures and post them here. I might do a wright up on the install with complete instructions. I'll keep ya posted.

Karl

export

WOW..that is a great way to go...Is this available in the states?

Good little piece of equipment isn't it!! We use them all the time for our car stereo installs, saves a lot of battery problems.
If you can not find them in the states, just ask and i will be happy to organise one for you.
Seems stange, most of the time i'm importing everything from the US
Yes Robin, your spot on in a 12v system it is 12.5v before the starting battery is disconnected from the aux. Then it will only drain the aux battery.

Trust

:Thanks KustomKarl, I would really like to start working on mine now , but I'll wait until you post your findings and show some pics before I start asking questions I'm sure you will find the answer to. At your age (close to 47 if you do the math) I'm sure you have enough experience to walk us through it. :)

scrump

They call me Kustom Karl for a reason.

I have been in the custom business since I was 14, working in a custom van conversion company. I have 27 certifications in my field of electronics, mechanics, welding and automotive painting. I have been in my own business since 1986. In my high school days I worked for and advanced to service manger of a Kawasaki and a Honda authorized dealership. I also have a strong background in racing 125 250 and open class motocross for 6 yrs than stand-up Jet ski semi-pro(I had a business to run also) in the 440ss, 550, and mod class for 10 years. I retired my helmet at age 35. yea, I have been around for a while... I own a Kustom Vehicle company now in Florida. If it can be done I can do it.:)

Karl

Impressive

Glad to have your help!!! I'm just a novice, I can change oil, air filter, oil filter, clean or rebuild a carb, but when it comes down to it I become afraid of messing up internal componets and electrical systems, so I try to stay away from them unless I am confident I know the problem or that it is simplistic enough to handle.

looking forward to the install post,

scrump

Question

Did the 99' speedster sk come with one or two batteries? I was looking through my owners manual on the specs page when I ran across batteries. Is all it says is "not supplied" and has a number 1 with a circle around it? :confused: Seems simple sure, but it just caught my curiosity.

Scott

Sweet setup Scrump. I'm going to jack the thread a little. I have a 99 Speester SK and was wondering where you got the carpeting in the floor and also did yours come standard with two batteries? Mine only has one battery.

Amp, or NO amp???

I am getting ready to add my deck and speakers and I am going to start out with ( 2 ) 5.25" and ( 2 ) 6x9".

If my deck is putting out a supposed 50 watts x 4, would I need an amp to drive my highs?

I have an extra Sony amp from previous car set-up and I am wondering if I should go thru the trouble
of installing it for highs.

I will eventually put a hidden sub ( 10" or 12" ) in the boat with an amp driving it, so 2 amps may
be a little bit too much draw on my one battery set-up. I only have one batt. because of space limitations
in the 99 Speedster.

Would like you opinions. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back