QuickSilver oils...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also order it from most mercury dealers.

I ordered mine there. 2 cartons of 3 X 1gallon, full synthetic, for 34.99$ cnd each gallon. Very good deal I think.

think for this year i'll be runnin the xp-s blend.... having absolute hell gettin this stuff in the valley... nobody is willing to order it for me, and have a dealership across the street from my haus...literally could walk there in about 2 minutes, seem's the best thing for me to do!!!!!

Castrol

The old oil debate again.

I'm going to throw something out.

I have a 96GTI, I bought it from a friend of mine, who purchased it new.

He had always used, since the ski was new, and I have continued to use; "Castrol Super Outboard Motor Oil". This is the oil that the dealer recommended back in 96.

The oil was developed by Castrol especially for SkiDoos and SeaDoos, and was approved by Rotax for use in their engines. The oil is manufactured in Canada.

The ski is 14 years old and I have never had to work on the engine or had engine work done. It had the original spark plugs until the year.

The oil is mineral based, and I think that it is no longer manufactured. The last case I bought I had to mail order, but it was only about $3.50 a quart.

Lou

du whhat na? are you serious... original spark plugs...from 96??? you gotta be sh*##in me...that may be some kind of world record or something...longest lasting 2 stroke spark plug!!! your b/s ing right?

oil

Can't be sure about the spark plugs, I have only had the ski 2 years, but thats what the previous owner told me.

I swap plugs every other trip out. I cannot imagine a plug lasting all season in a two stroke, much less since 1997 :confused:

But, stranger things have happened.

I guess it really doesnt matter what oil brand you get their all made to the same spec number its just a matter of whats cheap and what is readly available just make sure it's to API-TC standards and not NMMA or TWC-3

Questionable?

The old oil debate again.

I'm going to throw something out.

I have a 96GTI, I bought it from a friend of mine, who purchased it new.

He had always used, since the ski was new, and I have continued to use; "Castrol Super Outboard Motor Oil". This is the oil that the dealer recommended back in 96.

The oil was developed by Castrol especially for SkiDoos and SeaDoos, and was approved by Rotax for use in their engines. The oil is manufactured in Canada.

The ski is 14 years old and I have never had to work on the engine or had engine work done. It had the original spark plugs until the year.

The oil is mineral based, and I think that it is no longer manufactured. The last case I bought I had to mail order, but it was only about $3.50 a quart.

Lou

Your statment about no work being done is kinda hard to believe, since in 96, all Rotax motors came with the grey Tempo fuel lines. If these are not changed, or even when you decide to change them, you have no choice but to go through the carbs and clean out the dissolved solids of these old fuel lines.

I'm pretty sure you aren't running the same plugs, since the electrodes over time erode. Over time, they will also build resistance and will decrease overall fuel range. You did come back and state you've only had it two years. So, I'm here to say that I'm positive these plugs are not original.

I'm also going to tell you that the oil you are running is not the recommended oil that BRP and Rotax requires for motor longevity. That Castrol oil is a TCW-3 oil. These oils are formulated to run at any rpm without fouling plugs. Our motors require an oil that maintains lubrication at variable rates of injection.

For this thread, please, only use an API-TC rated oil that is non NMMA (national marine manuafactures association) or TCW-3. TCW-3 is designed as a premix and easily disperses itself throughout the fuel tank when mixed. We inject our oils, so to use an oil that is designed to be mixed, isn't appropiate.

When you idle the Rotax, the injection pump is probably at a ratio of (theoretically speaking) 80:1 and when at WOT, about 50:1. The variable rate injection pump is designed to use just the right amount of oil in our engines for lubrication with a minimal amount that needs to be burned off.

If you use a TCW-3 oil, smoking, carbonizing and carbon fouling plugs will be normal, so carry a spare pair of plugs. Also, the TCW-3 oils used in outboard motors usually allow you to set your outboard up for different heat ranges. If you use the boat for slow speeds, trolling for fist, you'll want a hotter burning plug, to help burn off the excessive oil. If you use that motor for skiing or mostly WOT running, you'll want to burn a colder plug, since heat from running at speed will help to keep combustion occuring easily.

Don't use a TCW-3 oil in your Rotax. Yes, it will work. But, it will, over the long haul, reduce the life span of your motor.........:cheers:

Oil

I didn't say I never did any work on my SeaDoo, of course I have replaced a wear ring, replaced the fuel hoses, filters, fuel selector, etc. What I said is that I have never had to do any engine work!!!!! I consider engine work as work inside the engine.

Point made...

I didn't say I never did any work on my SeaDoo, of course I have replaced a wear ring, replaced the fuel hoses, filters, fuel selector, etc. What I said is that I have never had to do any engine work!!!!! I consider engine work as work inside the engine.

Here, in the virtual world, what you read is all you can go by. So, a lot is left out that is not taken into account. But yes, you did say that you have had no engine work that needed to be performed.

I am surprised that your engine has run this long on a TCW-3 oil, since the Rotax motors are not designed to run this oil. I'd also recommend you continue to run that oil. Reasons are simple. Once you burn in a set of pistons or set up an engines operating conditions, it will likely wear itself in to the conditions it's being run. So, changing oil now could cause you more harm than good. But, I would not recommend an oil to anyone who is using an engine that requires a certain API designation. Your longevity in this motor is probably only one in a million.:hurray:

Oil

O.K., I agree with what you are saying however, since Castrol no longer makes this oil. What do I do when I run out? I've only got a couple of quarts left.

I was thinking Amsoil PWC mineral oil. I would like to go full synthetic but from what you're saying this is probably not a good idea.

Lou

QuickSilver Injection Oil

Here in Riverside, CA Wally's only peddles Quicksilver Premimum Plus which is only a TC-W3 oil, however, West Marine on Indiana sells Quicksilver Premimum for $28.00 which is rated not only TC-W3 but also API TC.

I'll just throw my 2 cents worth in here, the xp-s 2 full synthetic from Brp was developed for all of Brp's modern 2 stroke engines. That includes snowmobiles etc. Therefore, the range of temps it was designed for is quite broad, like -40 to 300, when was the last time you fired up your ski when it was below freezing? I feel the cold weather additives are part of what makes it so expensive. When other manufacturers make an oil for pwc's they don't need to worry about cold performance. I have always used xp-s 2, but the price has got me to look at alternatives, i think i'll go with the Mystic oil from now on.

I know I kinda stirred things up on this thread last year.

I am happy to report I switched to Quicksilver PWC 2 stroke mineral oil last year and have been using it for most of last year and this year. The ski has been running great, also the spark plugs are looking O.K.

Thanks for the help,

Lou

So in a 96 XP, which Quicksilver oil would you run? For some reason I always think synthetic is best, but I thought I heard synthetic was only for the newer 951 motors? I know for certain my local Wal-Mart carries Quicksilver.

Definitely the full synthetic, that's what I use in my XP. You have rave valves and they need the extra lubrication. Generally SeaDoo's with more than a 720 engine need full synthetic.

Lou

IMO, Quicksilver PWC (silver container) which is a blend, unlike Quicksilver PWC (black container) which is full synthetic should suffice. Refer to your Owners Manual which will state emphatically whether you need a blend or full synthetic, then forget about the brand and go find an alternative to Sea Doo's brand.

In one way I am glad I replaced my Sea Doo's for Kawi's because now I can forget about the over priced API TC oils, BUT, from knowledge gained from Dr, Honda, I use a blend of TC W-3, WHICH YOU CAN'T USE.

Before I found the good info on this forum, I always used Sea Doo brand XP-S 2 stroke mineral oil in my 1997 Speedster, mostly because I was afraid not to.

For the purists among us (I'm not a purist BTW) I'll pass along that Amazon.com sells Sea Doo brand oils for a great price. Just type Seadoo oil in the search box, Check the prices and compare/shop around. That's where I was buying it. Sea Doo brand XP-S 2 stroke mineral oil is currently $26.45 plus postage. Not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Doo-XP-S-...YMXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309311421&sr=8-2

Cheap oil

I thought everyone had heard of quicksilver, it must be another one of those southern market things, like walmart..... Since 1989 I've seen quicksilver be adequate for pwc use. My buddies dad always used it, it was just plain quicksilver then, no synthetic or pwc option. That waverunner 500 never needed a rebuild, and was rode hard all the way untill 1996, when it was traded in for top dollar.
I can also say that we have ran it in our 1996 sts 1998 ZXI since they were purchased in 2000. The zxi has never been rebuilt, and the STS has only had one top end. We live on the river, seriously, we launch our skis in the front yard with ATVs, or whatever happens to have a 2" ball on it that day. I've always spent the extra dollar or two to get quicksilver over whatever walmart house brand oil was on the shelf. So thinking back on it, this is a great economy oil.
Castor oils have always been the buzz around here for those that can afford them. Personally I believe they just like the smell of burning money, and everyone else gets a whiff of it to, kinda funny castor based oils smell like burning plastic. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...Castor+2-Stroke+Oil&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Anyone know where to get the Quicksilver in Canada? I tried Wal-Marts in Ontario and Quebec and they do not carry it.

Quicksilver oil is marketed by Mercury Marine, so your Mercury Marine dealer should have it.

Lou

Excellent! I think I'll go with the Mystic from Academy. The only place I can get the xps 2 is an hour away from me. Add the fuel to get there and it would be way to expensive. Now, Academy is very close so is Wal Mart. Yall are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back