Questions about a 2001 rxdi I juat looked at

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lph008

Just looked at a 2001 rxdi. Owner stated that it needs a driveshaft. It is starting to slip. He also said that a new motor was put in roughly 35 hours ago.

My questions are. When he fired it up it sounded good for about 10 secondsteps then it sounded like something was grinding almost like when you are using a cordless drill and it gets jammed and doesn't have enough to turn the bit. I know bad comparison but that's what it reminds me of. Also the whole motor rocks side to side. I could see the two motor mounts and plate in the rear but they weren't moving, just the motor was moving. Any input? He was asking $1400 with single karavan trailer and he went down to $1000.

I said I want to sleep on it and do some research. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this so I know if i should buy it. I have owned tons of snowmobiles and atvs and I do all my own work but this is my first jetski and don't want it to turn out to be a terrible decision. Thanks for reading

DI ski's require some specific knowledge and tools. For example, fuel pressure is CRUCIAL on them. At idle the fuel pressure is 107 psi.. You will need a gauge that can read up to the max psi.
If the motor is moving, either a mount is broken and or the bolts from the engine to the mount. I'd look more closely at that. Make sure they are not broken off in the block.

The driveshaft itself is not a huge deal, they fail.. You will want a driveshaft and the PTO. It likely failed due to the engine moving...

Let others that have good 2-stroke knowledge jump in,,,

DI ski's require some specific knowledge and tools. For example, fuel pressure is CRUCIAL on them. At idle the fuel pressure is 107 psi.. You will need a gauge that can read up to the max psi.
If the motor is moving, either a mount is broken and or the bolts from the engine to the mount. I'd look more closely at that. Make sure they are not broken off in the block.

The driveshaft itself is not a huge deal, they fail.. You will want a driveshaft and the PTO. It likely failed due to the engine moving...

Let others that have good 2-stroke knowledge jump in,,,

OK so when I'm looking at the driveshaft where it goes into the motor. There is a black plate that has a bolt in both ends. Are these the motor mounts or was it looking in the wrong spot and didn't even see the mounts? When I rock the motor from side to side those bolts /mounts don't move, but the motor where it goes through the plate and where the driveshaft goes into the motor. That movespecially but the plate doesn't.
Does the impeller spin when italking just idling? I'm curious if that is the noise I'm hearing as stated above is the impeller/jet kicking on and it's actually grinding due to the splined on the shaft being stripped?? I'm not there anymore so it's hard to diagnose more

If the motor is moving side to side, then the impeller is moving also. It is most definitely touching something and making noise. You will at the very least need a wear ring, and maybe a new impeller. You may need a carbon seal, or carrier bearing, depending on which your ski has. I don't know enough about the two-stroke motors to know where the motor mounts are.

There are three motor mounts. Two in the rear and one in the front. The piece you are talking about is the rear support, look where it makes contact with the hull and make sure the rubber has not separated from the metal mounts on each side. The front mount usually breaks first

There are three motor mounts. Two in the rear and one in the front. The piece you are talking about is the rear support, look where it makes contact with the hull and make sure the rubber has not separated from the metal mounts on each side. The front mount usually breaks first

I.don't have access to the ski. I went today to look at it and these are the issues with it. I wish i could look at it again right now but it was over an hour drive. I almost think maybe it wasn't bolted to the rear support?.I looked at the two rear motor mounts and they didn't move at all when I rocked the motor. Where it goes through the rear support and connects to drive shaft, it was rocking back and forth on the engine side of the support. Does that make any sense?.it's really hard to actually write it out and explain it. I'm thinking about offering him $850 and taking a chance. I like to work on toys and learn.

Is it at all possible to replace the motor mounts or even check them without removing the motor?

Also if the motor wasnot bolted to rear support or was lose, would it rock back and forth at all on the motor mounts or no?

I think you need to assume you need all motor mounts, and everything from the PTO back for negotiation purposes.

Im just trying to figure out of the motor needs to be removed in order to replace mounts. Been searching and few people have said you can do it without removing motor but those were also 1997 models and not 01. I'm more concerned about the noise it makes that I described above. It sounds normal for the first 10 secondsteps then it happens. I tried it a few times and everytime it did the same thing. I didn't want to run it so it was hard to pinpoint where the sound was coming from.

Does anything kick on after 10 seconds or so when running without any water? Fyi I only started it 3-4 times and turned it off after about 15 seconds. Pipe wasn't even hot to the touch so I wasn't worried about overheating.

I think you need to assume you need all motor mounts, and everything from the PTO back for negotiation purposes.

Sorry your saying pto back? Pump and impeller also?? I was thinking more along the lines of pto, boots, driveshaft. Maybe bearings. Am I wrong?

Sorry your saying pto back? Pump and impeller also?? I was thinking more along the lines of pto, boots, driveshaft. Maybe bearings. Am I wrong?

We are saying the same thing as far as what will likely need to be serviced if you buy the ski.

I have never owned a 2-stroke, but I have read you can change the mounts without pulling the engine.

You will need an alignment tool as well.

Motor does not have to be removed for the mounts. Do them one by one and leave bolts a little loose. As Coastie said make sure you align the motor!! (He rents the tool as well) Replace PTO, driveshaft, (carbon ring and bellows if the ski runs them) and rebuild the jetpump and replace wear ring and you should be good to go.

Motor does not have to be removed for the mounts. Do them one by one and leave bolts a little loose. As Coastie said make sure you align the motor!! (He rents the tool as well) Replace PTO, driveshaft, (carbon ring and bellows if the ski runs them) and rebuild the jetpump and replace wear ring and you should be good to go.

Ok thanks for the motor mounts clarification. So do you have any input on the grinding noise that kicks on after about 10 seconds? Does something kick on between the motor and the jet pump that might be binding up? I'm going to text the guy back and make an offer. I'm just hoping I can get some input on what might be making the God awful noise. Like I stated in original post, it sounds like a battery drill when the bit jams and it doesn't have the torque to turn. It just grinds. That's the best way I can compare the noise. Thanks again guys. Also think it's a good deal if I can get it for $800-$900 with karavan trailer? Needs seat recovered also and the pad that goes on the handlebar cover is missing

I saw that ski on cl as well and in my opinion it looks good cosmetically. If you can get it cheap i would say it is a decent deal givent that you are probably going to have to replace some stuff. The noise could probably be just about anything if the motor mounts are busted. Not sure of the price for all parts involved but ive seen a few of those skis around my area and they look like a good time.

I saw that ski on cl as well and in my opinion it looks good cosmetically. If you can get it cheap i would say it is a decent deal givent that you are probably going to have to replace some stuff. The noise could probably be just about anything if the motor mounts are busted. Not sure of the price for all parts involved but ive seen a few of those skis around my area and they look like a good time.

Well I made him an offer and he said he will think about it. He is working now. Then he told me he doesn't have the registration for the ski but has it for the trailer. This was never mentioned yesterday when I was there for 40 min looking it over. I also asked if he had paperwork for both ski and trailer.
Either way he said he is going to dmv on lunch to get a duplicate for lost registration. I'm not familiar with this process. Do they issue you one on the spot? Does it take a couple days? Weeks? I know with atv registration I had to get one that the guy lost and he didn't want to go through the dmv hassle he said. I got an awesome deal after I ran the vin. It took 8 weeks to get a transferable reg. Meanwhile it was registered but I couldn't transfer the reg. In that case though, I wasn't the person it was titled to last so they had to go through the whole process to verify it wasn't stolen etc

I told him no.deal.if he can't get reg. Today

Well I made him an offer and he said he will think about it. He is working now. Then he told me he doesn't have the registration for the ski but has it for the trailer. This was never mentioned yesterday when I was there for 40 min looking it over. I also asked if he had paperwork for both ski and trailer.
Either way he said he is going to dmv on lunch to get a duplicate for lost registration. I'm not familiar with this process. Do they issue you one on the spot? Does it take a couple days? Weeks? I know with atv registration I had to get one that the guy lost and he didn't want to go through the dmv hassle he said. I got an awesome deal after I ran the vin. It took 8 weeks to get a transferable reg. Meanwhile it was registered but I couldn't transfer the reg. In that case though, I wasn't the person it was titled to last so they had to go through the whole process to verify it wasn't stolen etc

I told him no.deal.if he can't get reg. Today

I just stopped at the DMV they said they will issue the same day so that's good news

If you love to tinker and a challenge the DI skis are great but if not I would stay away. Their fuel injection system can be expensive and difficult to diagnose. If it is just motor mounts and a drive shaft go for it.

Well I own a skidoo sdi. Have had to do a lot of tinkering eith. They gotta be somewhat similar I'd imagine right? Also yes I like to do research and get info from forums and so my own work. It's a hobby lol. I feel accomplished when I resolve and fix machines. I buy and sell atvs and snowmobiles that need work. I get to learn, and I enjoy it. Plus I make some cash while doing it

Sounds like a DI is for you then. Make sure you budget for a code reader like the CanDoo or find a used BUDS and you can be our go to expert on the DI's just like Ragtop.

Sounds like a DI is for you then. Make sure you budget for a code reader like the CanDoo or find a used BUDS and you can be our go to expert on the DI's just like Ragtop.

I wouldn't go that far as far as saying I'd be the expert LOL trust me if I pick this machine up I will be picking everyone's brains and diagnosing it. This is my first jetski and I'd like to learn a lot about them. Why not get my feet wet with the more difficult ski LOL

You have been warned of the Evil DI's.

JK, if the price is cheap and it does start have at it. Worst case you can part it out and break even.

That's what I fugure. He said motor was new from SET 2 seaside ago and has roughly 35 hours on it. So if I can get it for undereference $1000 with trailer then I think I should go for it

That's what I fugure. He said motor was new from SET 2 seaside ago and has roughly 35 hours on it. So if I can get it for undereference $1000 with trailer then I think I should go for it

Sorry typo. Auto correct. Motor was new 2 seasons ago and purchased from SBT with roughly 35 hours. Get it for under $1000****

Sorry typo. Auto correct. Motor was new 2 seasons ago and purchased from SBT with roughly 35 hours. Get it for under $1000****

Ok so I just got her home. Picked it up for $800. I tried uploading a video of the noise it make after about 7 seconds of running. I'm wondering if it is the driveshaft slipping due to being stripped? Does the jet pump kick on after a few songs when it's just idling?

Im.going to pull the jet pump off and the driveshaft aNd see if it still does it. Also I'm going to get a parts list together so I caneed order some parts off ebay. Unfortunately there is a 10"x4" chunk of foam missing where the seat is ripped so I gotta try and find a good used seat as well

Any idea why video won't upload? It's only about 30 secondso long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back