Question for everyone upgrading their audio systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macster

I'm an old audio enthusiast (ex DJ, many car stereo fit outs etc), so I love a decent sound. I look at the fitouts many of have done on this forum and I think they look great.

BUT

Do any of you guys who have upgraded your stereo's ever use the stereo whilst towing people in the water (skiing wakeboarding etc?). It's hard enough focusing on not riding over the ski rope, people in the water and hearing whether learner skiers are ok, ready to start etc - LET ALONE trying to turn the volume up and down on the stereo or change songs etc.

So I can only assume that the only time you guys really get to enjoy your stereos is when you're cruising around or possibly when towing experienced skiers that know the hand signals and don't need to speak to you!

Thoughts? Comments? Am I just getting old...??

I just getting old...??
^----+1

J/K

If you notice, most manufacturers put the radio on the passenger side. It is for a reason. You are piloting, so the passenger is the designated DJ. The biggest allure of wakeboard towers is not just big air, its big pod mounted speakers. You can't hear skiers go down anyway, if you do, something went horribly wrong. It is important to establish good hand and arm signals with your participants before you leave the dock. How do you know when to speed up or slow down for the person being towed? Until we have electric boats, its going to be sign language. Your spotter is facing backwards, you can see your spotter, so who needs to talk?

Older boats must just be loud, I can't carry on a conversation at 35mph anyway, so I might as well have something besides the engine to listen to. Watersports are just that much more fun when you have someone DJ-ing some exciting tunes that you enjoy. Besides that, with tower speakers, you can be young again, annoy and project music to every boat behind you for half a mile or so. ;)

:cheers:
Ernest

Hand signals and a GOOD observer are a must!In a ski racing boat 500ci blown motor,up to 300 foot ski ropes at well over 100mph,hand signals are the only way to communicate.Sometimes, a head shake is all the skier can give.A guy told me that if you have time to take your hand off the rope to wave down,you are not going hard enough.

Agree on the importance of hand signals, I give training to newbies on land before we get in the boat but they often forget once in the water. Not quite what the thread was intended for - but maybe I need to get a more competent spotter / passenger to share some of the duties with me, including the boat DJ role!

I dunno, I switched from jetskis to boats for the social factor. This is hard if the music is so loud (to overcome wind and engine noise), that you can't speak to each other... or even worse if you have to constantly adjust the volume whilst mucking around with the plastic water guard over the stereo.

Mate sorry.I am a bit anal when it comes to having a very good observer in the boat.Had a nasty happen and it stuck with me.I suppose my main point was you can have the music as loud as you want and if the observer is good,all the communication is there.Hand signals.Nods of the head.Deaf Derrick can do the job.Big H.P. boat and you can't hear a bloody thing except the engine.Everyone just wants to go out and have a really nice time.Thats why we all love the water

I hear you about the social thing. A ski is personal, unless its a huge four seater, then its just a boring uncomfortable boat. I traded an SV650 and a cash payment to me, for my sportster, so that I could take my son and wife out with me. I'll have a ski on the side soon enough. I found out on my first full day on the water, I could entertain a crew of six. I put some fishing poles on the dock, and took two at a time out to ride the toys or cruise. The boat is a must. Music makes it better.

Wind noise will drown out conversations every time, but it can't drown out 100+ watts of stereo. :)

:cheers:
Ernest

I dont really use the stereo much when im towing someone. Mine is mostly used as a big jukebox for when we are chilling in the water anchored for hours.

There is much more that can be done. Make sure you have atleast one spotter. A tow mirror is a must for the driver so he can keep an eye on the towee. I have a remote volume and stereo control that is right by the throttle. It is set up so that a simple quick push of the button and walla there is silence. I can run the stereo without looking at the controller. Companies like Wet Sounds and Krypt have stereo controllers that allow for dual zone volume control. That means your tower speakers can be going and not the inside of the boat. They also have a microphone you can use to talk to the skier/wakeboarder for such things as praise or instruction. The tower speakers themselves make a huge difference I have found. Some are still very loud in the boat. Others are not. I am currently using the Liquid Accoustics tower speakers. They are about as perfect as can be found. When we run them and no volume in the boat the sound level is quite pleasant. Enough to have tunes but can easily converse or alert the driver to a "man down". Meanwhile the towee can hear the tunes loud and clear. If I want more I can turn up the interior speakers. I do this by using the fader currently but will change before next season. I will say that I dont use the speakers when I am towing newbies to the sports. I usually let them decide if they want tunes or not once they start to get the hang of it. Once there is a "Man down" I always mute or pause the system before I even begin to turn to retrive them.

One thing, if anyone builds a stereo in a boat to hear out of the boat while in motion, you need speakers on a tower. To get to the volume levels needed to hear while in motion outside the boat, your going to be causing permanant damge to yourself, friends, and family. Jam the tunes wisely!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry .But Personally I don't agree with a mirror for the driver.He has to look where he is going.An observer is just that.An observer.The best one's are people that can ski or have been on the towed toy. The observer should be able to see and read whats happening behind the boat and bring the driver to the correct speed for the conditions.The driver needs to look forward.I have seen the foot of a guy that was barefooting and the driver did not see the stick in the water.The stick was attached to the rest of the log.The observer is the link between the towed and the driver.It his his/her call how fast the boat should be going.Not the drivers.Just my call.from experience.

Sorry, I dont agree at all! The mirror I added to my boat for this season has been the best addition I have made for safety. I can watch the front of the boat and where I am going at all times as well as monitoring the towee's. Yes a observer is the best scenario and we always have one. I do not look continuously at the mirror but I feel much better being able to glance up and see what is happening if I need to without having to turn and look. Anyone who says they dont turn and look is a flat out lair PERIOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back