Cheap Mp3 player and external stereo controller mod for Seadoo boats ($56)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macster

I did this simple mod to allow me to play my Mp3 music (stock stereo on 2008 Speedster doesn't play mp3 files). It also allows me to externally control the stereo volume, tracks etc at ease.

So I drilled a 2mm hole in the mounting bracket underneath the stereo, cut a 3.5mm stereo cable in half and threaded it through the new hole. You could elect not to cut the stereo cable but then you'd need to drill a larger hole to feed the plug through).

As you can see in the photo, I now have the 3.5mm jack permanently plugged into the stereo and once the lid is shut it's still water tight.

I then threaded the cable through to the storage bin and drilled another 2mm hole at the top of the bin. After reconnecting the two ends of the cut cable (solder and heat shrink), I now had a 3.5mm stereo extension lead into the front bucket.

For a few months I just plugged my Mp3 player into the newly placed cable and left it in the front bucket, however I was getting frustrated when I wanted to change songs or turn down the music. It's a PITA to unhook the stereo splash cover and adjust the volume on the stereo itself.

So, I shopped around and found a waterproof Mp3 player. It's called the Pico Aqua waterproof player

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...Audio/Ipod-and-MP3-and-MP4-Players/PICOAQUA2G

It's only 2gb but that's 12-14 hours of music. Indicated battery life is 6hrs which should suit a day on the water. I have simply velcro'd this to the dash console for easy access. It actually has a blue neon when turned on (same colour as the stereo unit), which was an added bonus.

I chose not to drill any holes to hide the cabling from the storage bin to the player.

Anyway, easy to do (30 mins), $56 and you have 14 hrs of music and a waterproof external music controller. I'm sure you guys in the US could probably get the Mp3 player for half that price or an even better one to stick there!

Cheers.

Attachments

• P1020764.JPG
    P1020764.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 59
  • P1020763.JPG
    P1020763.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 63
  • P1020762.JPG
    P1020762.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 62
  • P1020766.JPG