Question about potential vapor lock.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerstec

Hey everyone. (TL/DR at the bottom) So I'm back again with yet another issue with my 97 GSX. So I'll start this post off with some context. I was riding in early June when I suddenly came to a stop but the engine was still running. When I pulled the jetski out of the water the driveshaft had sheared off at the impeller. After taking everything apart it seemed that the drive shaft may have had a hairline crack or fracture in it. Plus it was unbelievably rusted. After doing a quick diagnostic it seemed that the crack in the drive shaft along with resistance from the water and possibly my needle bearings seizing the shaft snapped. Well I just finished rebuilding everything from the fly back. Including a new impeller housing, needle bearings and thrust bearing and thrust washer, new impeller, new impeller shaft and driveshaft along with all the components that come along with the drivetrain (boots, floating and carbon ring etc.)

I went to the water on Friday to test my jet ski after the rebuild and it cranked but never turned over. I tried for about 20 minutes gave up and headed home to figure out the problem. I checked the plugs and I have spark. I also checked the fuel filter and the fuel lines that run into the two carbs. I was getting fuel to the carbs and everything seemed to be working alright which made me wonder why it didn't start. I ended up taking apart the plastic housing that goes over the carburetors and spraying ether into it which caused it to start right up. I repeated the process about a dozen times with out the ether and it started fine. I went back to the water on Sunday to finally test how the jet ski ran and it did the same thing again cranked but did not turn over but this time it did actually start. When it did start it did something that I can only compare to a backfire of a car. It didn't pop like a backfire only like exhaust pressure like a backfire. So what I'm wondering is could this be a vapor lock issue? Maybe I had some big pockets of air in my fuel lines? After it started I ran the jet ski for about an hour and it ran perfect even at Full Throttle. When I got home I ran the jet ski to flush it and it started right up then. So I'm a little confused on what the issue could be.

TL/DR: went to test jet ski after drivetrain rebuild and it didn't start. Checked gas lines and made sure fuel was getting to where it was supposed to. Ended up spraying ether into the carbs and it started right up. Two days later I went back to the water and it almost didn't start but when it did it let out a puff almost like a backfire on a car without the sound and not as dramatic. That being said I'm looking for advice on what this could be I had read that it might be a vapor lock issue. I'm hoping somebody might know what the issue is.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If it ran long with the broken shaft it may have overheated because if the impeller is not turning then the cooling water is not flowing.

Very very good point. I didn't even think about that. Hopefully that is not the issue. What would be the signs of it damage from over heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back