Pump rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruff Cut

Bought a 2000GTX DI a few months ago. Took it out a few times. Runs great but not knowing the service history I took it to the dealer to be serviced. The pump needs to be completely rebuilt. They said water must have gotten in. $760 in parts , $1070. total ! ouch!

OR....

They have it all apart, so half the job is done. I thought about having them put the parts in a box and picking up and do it myself. Or should I have them put it back together so I know where everything goes. They're probably going to charge me to put it back together.

If you have never done a Jet Pump assembly, you might be looking for trouble at this point. You never know if they either forgot to put in all the parts in a box , or if they assembled it wrong just to trip you up. The time to decide if you want to tackle the project is before they have you over the barrel and started it already. It's your call at this point. If you have a "Seadoo Manual" like from our library, you could still re-assemble it rebuilt, without to many problems. There are diagrams of assembly and procedures in the manuals.

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello...

Ruff...wat up, man..seen you been on the forum lately, why you go do a rookie move like that...:ack:

I know out this way, you refuse the service, you'll get everything back in a box, but not knowing what your get'n, you might not get "everything" back. I'd take my chance, and if worst comes to worst, you can always buy another "complete" pump assy, for 200 buks?

??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruff...wat up, man..seen you been on the forum lately, why you go do a rookie move like that...
--- --- -- --- --- -- - -- --- -- --- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I don't understand?? . I've been reading in the backround for months...???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruff...wat up, man..seen you been on the forum lately, why you go do a rookie move like that...
--- --- -- --- --- -- - -- --- -- --- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I don't understand?? . I've been reading in the backround for months...???

Hey Ruff...i took for granted, that from the time you've been on the forum, you've came across a few "dealer" threads, of how disturbed the members were when they took there ski/boat in, and then they post the outcome.

So with you hav'n a pump problem, i just assumed you've done some homework, by the use of this site, instead of take'n to dealership...:cheers:

put the rook in rookie...

Oh,, I see what ya mean. I didn't take it in for the pump problem. I first took it in cause it wasn't beeping when inserted the lanyard . I figured that was a dealer problem. Since I bought it used and didn't know the service history I would have them do a minimal service on it. I figured I could take it from there. Didn't have faith in my own wrenching and greatly underestimated the quick help from the forum. After this posting I realize my mistake. I'm not sure with my inexperience I would have noticed the pump problem. Although since purchasing the ski I have been out on it 4 or 5 times with no problem. They said it could -Their words " Grenade at any time". But yes,, This is my first and last trip to a dealer. You have my permission to give me an internet kick in the butt. :stupid:

Even with a minimal amount of mechanical experience, we could help you get it back in running condition. Let us know what direction you go in now, so we can help ...if you like.

Karl

com'n home..

Getting my ski back this week. I told the dealer I'm going to wait till spring to have them do the pump. Since winter is coming on and my wallet will be thicker by then. I told them I would bring it back to them then. haha
Can't wait to get it home!:hurray:

I know your getting your ski back, but i was wondering, does taking apart your pump included with the inspection that you wanted? Did they tell you that they would be taking it apart? It sounds as if they were expecting you agree with the work, and buy into the work that was offered, so they already started the job. Unfortunatly, i am pretty new when it comes to these, but what they did doesnt sound right. Please educate me if i am wrong.

dealers' suk.

I know your getting your ski back, but i was wondering, does taking apart your pump included with the inspection that you wanted? Did they tell you that they would be taking it apart? It sounds as if they were expecting you agree with the work, and buy into the work that was offered, so they already started the job. Unfortunatly, i am pretty new when it comes to these, but what they did doesnt sound right. Please educate me if i am wrong.

thats how they get cha, chief...once the y "destroy" ur ski, and call you for the "quote", then you refuse the service, so when you come get it, yeah, you get your ski, BUT you get the "guts" of it, in a box, leaving you at there mercy.....saw first hand with a neighbor. There response would be, if you question the breaking apart, is..we need to to find the culprit, but if you refuse, its your responsibility to, lack of better terms, but, figure it out.

That's a good question ,I can't wait to ask them. But I need go in well armed. (with the right info) As I said I took it in for the beeping problem and a minor service. The counter guy said they would check the lack of beeping and change the pump oil. I didn't think the pump had to be taken apart to change the oil. ?? They called a few days later and told me their almost done winterizing it. But I don't want it winterized. He said he'd stop them and get back to me. Called the next day to tell me the pump needs to be rebuilt. I'm not sure why they took the pump apart? Maybe someone can tell me their opinion before I go to pick it up, They never did address the beeping problem. I think I'm gonna have to through a b**** cause I don't plan on paying for anything I didn't authorize. "Homey don't play that game"

That is a bunch of crap. They should have done what you wanted done, not dig further and do service that wasn't wanted. It sounds like this dealer is NOT on the up and up. You should only pay for what was wanted. If they didn't repair your main problem of no beep, I would be hesitant to pay them for anything. I hope you signed a work order of the work to be performed. That way they only do what is on the work order...not do a restoration and complete rebuild of the seadoo on your expense. It should be the same as doing a service on your car. If you didn't authorize the repair...they shouldn't just go ahead and do it or look for things to repair to spend your money. Unless you told them to just go ahead and repair what is needed...that's a different story. On a 2000 seadoo I'm sure they could find plenty of small things that might need some attention...they should only do what is requested on the repair order you signed. They could suggest repairs, but not pull things apart at your expense. I own a repair shop for Custom Vehicles...we don't do anything unless it is written on the work order...but we always find something to go back and recommend service. It's kinda nature of the beast. We are in the service business, but not the scam business. If that extra needed repair is right in you face and is easily seen, or a safety issue, then we suggest a extra repair. The customer makes up their mind before we do anything or attempt any repairs until after a estimate is approved by the customer to cost, or severity of the problem...if they want us to do the repair.

Karl

ruff-cut quote.. Called the next day to tell me the pump needs to be rebuilt. I'm not sure why they took the pump apart? Maybe someone can tell me their opinion before I go to pick it up

because you "voided" the winterization. So they needed to make some kind of money, instead of 55 buks, for replacing jet-pump oil...who knows, they just wanted more money. No different when you take a car in for oil change, and these butt-monkeys, then call you out, to tell you you need a tranning flush, or power steering flush..etc,..yeah, these $8 buk an hour, knows where the trans dipstick is or what fluid goes where. There business is to upsell..

2 instances where one, had a new steering assy put in, (blew it out, somehow), so the dealer replaed everything, including the fluid, a month goes by, and need oil change, take to local jack-a**es, and they tell me i need a steering fluid flush...idiots,. And another instance, was had trans flush, next month for oil change, different place, said then, I needed one of those..idiots.

got my ski back..

Well,,, I got my ski back with all the parts. I wouldn't take it back even if they did the work for free. They parked it in a field out in back of the place. The Nevada winds blew dust sand and dirt into every cereous of the ski. Along with a little morning dew it was covered in mud. I cleaned on it for 2 days but when I snapped the seat on dirt fell from around the edges of the seat. MORE to clean. It makes me wonder what they do with customers skis now the our nightly temperatures occasionally dip as low as 27.

I would recommend filing a complaint with the BBB, they performed unauthorized work to your ski, they returned the ski to you in a condition other than what they received it in(both cleanliness and functional)

An automotive service shop would not get away with something like this, why should a pwc service center think they can. I have taken my car in for service a few times, and if it had to be left over night for some reason or another, and it got dirty, either from road dust, mud, or anything like that, i got it back clean, sometimes cleaner than what it was before i took it there. I have had numerous services performed on my car, and every time i was called and notified of what needed to be done before it was started.

If they are an authorized Sea-Doo Service center, i would file a complaint with BRP as well. I'm not a huge fan of complaining about a business, but they did you wrong, and they thought that they would get away with it.

still dusting

They said when they took the cone off water came out . That's why they went into the pump. But the dirt ....

Attachments

• Copy of DSC09596.JPG
    Copy of DSC09596.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Copy of DSC09597.JPG
    Copy of DSC09597.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Copy of DSC09594.JPG
    Copy of DSC09594.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 27
Jet pump and water?

I offered to rebuild this pump for our member and he accepted. I received his pump yesterday and did an initial inspection. At first glance, there is no signs of water. The seal and bearings appear to be in excellent shape. I'll be doing an air test on it tomorrow to see if the seal was still good.

The stator, impeller and wearing ring looked like the previous owner rode it down a dirt road verses a river. It's beat up pretty bad. All the stator blades have some damage. In some areas, there is over 2"X2" square chunks missing. There must have been something large trapped inside.

What gets me the most? This is a prime example of a dealer taking advantage of a customer. The member took his ski in for the simple reason that he did not get the two beeps that signal the MPEM has identified the lanyard and it's ready to start. Could someone please tell me what the pump has to do with the lanyard, I'm lost on that one.

I hope the member gives us the name and location of this shop so we can make sure no other member is taken advantage of by their greed.

I'll post the results of the air test this weekend..........:cheers:

as for the no beep, probly just a bad beeper!!!
if the gauges energize when the lanyard is put on and ski starts its the beeper
easy way to figure out is to take lanyard off and put your ear near the handlebar cover, front side on the bottom, you should see a bunch of little holes down there, put lanyard on and you will hear two clicks
if you do then its a bad beeper, the two clicks you hear is the beeper tryong to work. you can also energize gauges and ground out your engine temp sensor to cylinder head,this should bring on the long contiuos beep.
again if she runs its a bad beeper!!!
as for your pump, they were checking your pump oil as part of the service, if they found water in it, and they will get water in them if seal goes bad,
they should have stopped and called you for permission to pull pump at this time they should have gave you a estimate of cost for said re-build!
if they did not do this and pulled pump with out autho, then demand your money back for what they charged you for pulling pump .
and for the pump, if it did have water in it ya might just want to replace the needle bearings and seals in it, might look fine now, but little rust pits that you cant see will turn into a big mess in awhile when that baby is spinning at 9000 rpm and destroy the pump assy!!!
and very good to pressure check the pump, only way to see if it is sealing
mud

Post #21?

as for the no beep, probly just a bad beeper!!!
if the gauges energize when the lanyard is put on and ski starts its the beeper
easy way to figure out is to take lanyard off and put your ear near the handlebar cover, front side on the bottom, you should see a bunch of little holes down there, put lanyard on and you will hear two clicks
if you do then its a bad beeper, the two clicks you hear is the beeper tryong to work. you can also energize gauges and ground out your engine temp sensor to cylinder head,this should bring on the long contiuos beep.
again if she runs its a bad beeper!!!
as for your pump, they were checking your pump oil as part of the service, if they found water in it, and they will get water in them if seal goes bad,
they should have stopped and called you for permission to pull pump at this time they should have gave you a estimate of cost for said re-build!
if they did not do this and pulled pump with out autho, then demand your money back for what they charged you for pulling pump .
and for the pump, if it did have water in it ya might just want to replace the needle bearings and seals in it, might look fine now, but little rust pits that you cant see will turn into a big mess in awhile when that baby is spinning at 9000 rpm and destroy the pump assy!!!
and very good to pressure check the pump, only way to see if it is sealing
mud

You must have missed post #21. When a shop (or myself) does annual service on the pump, there is no reason to disassemble the pump to the degree they did. First, as above, there was no water intrusion, so that in itself is misrepresentation. Second, there was no axial play in the needle bearings so that wasn't a reason to take it apart either.

Right now, it's on my work bench and I'll be doing a pressure test. I'll post the results..................:cheers:

what did i miss?
i said at a service / tune up, i will check the pump oil condtion and or change it.
i said if water was found the shop should have called FIRST to get permission to pull pump for inspection.
and i said good job on pressure checking the pump, visual inspection of a seal is not proper, pressure check is the only wat to be sure
im confused?
mud

NO water!!!!!!

This morning, Ruff Cut and I set up the computers for live web cam, so we could chat while I worked on his pump.

The first thing I showed him was there was no breadch of the shaft seal. I pressured it up to 10 psi for 10 minutes and there was 1/2 pound drop. The shaft seal was good. Next, he witnessed me pushing out the bearings. I used my micrometer and measured both gearing and shaft. There was no axial movement in the shaft. The most difference I got in my measuremeents was .002, and that was rounding it off.

The seal and bearings were in good shape. But, like I''ve explained before, if you take the time to tear one down, you might as well do a thorough job.

His stator vanes were banged pu pretty bad along with his impeller.

I've ordered a new pump housing and bearing rebuild kit. The rip-off joint he took the ski to was going to charge him better than $1000 bucks. So far, with a new pump housing, bearing kit and impeller, I"ve spent about $300 bucks. His pump will be brand new when he gets it back....

Ya'll got to watch this greedy rip off joints. If you suspect that your being rpped off, chances are, you are. Come to the forum for advice. I'm sure someone will give you info on what the job should cost.........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back