Pump rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well $300.00 Plus labor I don't know any repair shops that work for free....most shops charge $100.00 per hr. How much time do you have invested, to be the devils advocate. I bet removing the pump and doing the repair,then re-install the unit o the seadoo, and test run it. Oh say about 4-5 maybe 6 hours hours... you do the math.

Karl

The dealers price did NOT include a new pump housing & impeller. They were going to put it back together with the dinged impeller and broken stators...

That's a difference of $460.00 in parts alone. What was I getting for $760.00 in parts from the dealer....
Remember that's not including the new housing & impeller ...

thanks mudpie...

mudpie... Thants for the beeper input. It ran great without any beeping. So I guess I'll search out the beeper.

Beeper....?

mudpie... Thants for the beeper input. It ran great without any beeping. So I guess I'll search out the beeper.

Holler at Karl. He replaced one before on his old boat. I think he said he was able to find one at Radio shack.

For the couple posts I see asking about the labor, I think it took me less than one hour to push the old bearing out and cut the wearing ring. It was not needed since Ruff Cut is replacing the pump houseing. I only did it so we could link up with web cams and he could get some experience in what it taeks to do this job. So far, my total time is less than an hour.

It takes me about 2 hours tops to rebuild a pump, including air test. The math you talk about with labor, does not pertain to me. KustomKarl, you of all peoplel should remember, I don't charge anyone for work I do. I do it because I like it and also, I know I've taken one job away from the scam artists.

I don't complain, when I'm not busy, I don't mind doing it. I have run across nothing but members who appreciate the work and honesty that I give freely, when they need something done and don't like gettin screwed.

Now......a run down on the parts. I'm replacing the pump housing, impeller and buying a pump rebuiild kit. The total for those parts came to $295.34 before shipping. So, for him, that's a saving of roughly $700 bucks. Makes me happy............:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
The beeper could be replaced from Radio Shack. Bring them the old one to match up. As for labor, ANY real repair shop has over head to pay, so it's not like a shade tree mechanic doing the work in his back yard. I agree some service shops charge more then they should, but what comes with it should be good, trustworthy service. Rent or mortgage's need to be paid, advertising, Wages, workers comp, insurance, electric ect. Not counting service training done for employees, franchise expense, special tools...Yes, there are a few bad apples out there, but not all. If you don't ever go to a seadoo dealer...it could be like the GM, (Goverment Motors). Or they could be out of business all together then no parts or new machines... Its a good thing to get a good deal, it's another when a company closes and the remaining jack up the prices as it the case now with the bad economy. Yeah, I'm a business owner I understand what happens. As consumers, being some what educated before going in to a dealer is key to keeping things on the up and up.

Karl

beep beep...

I bet the beeper is easy to find when it's beeping. But when it's not it looks just like all the other little electric boxes. How do I locate it?

the place that they usally live is in the handle bar cover
most of the time on the bottom of the cover ,front side, under neath
look for a bunch of little hose at the base of the cover.
lay your ear on the cover before you plg lanyard on, i bet you will hear a coulpe of clicks when the lanyard is applied
this is the beeper trying to work
have seen mud wasps luv to build little mud nest in them
seriosly they do!!!
mud

Update....

Well, just an update on Ruff Cuts pump rebuild.

We are almost finished with it. The total cost for this work, a new pump, new bearing rebuild kit, impeller and new neoprene seal has cost roughly $300 bucks. I think it's a lot better than the $1000 he was fixing to lose. And I'm sure, those guys that were going to stiff him, would not have done a complete and thorough job.

Him and I got together a while ago and re-assembled all the parts. The pump housing came in this past week.

We hooked up the web cam, took an hour or so and went step by step in putting it all together. We did an air test, that he was able to witness, so he knows he's getting what he pays for. In my opinion, thats the way it should always be.

If I ever had work done, I know I'd tell the service guy, I want my bad parts back, just to verify that they were bad and had been replaced. But, you know what happens when you do that. The guy just reaches into the trash can and gets some stuff he threw away and says it's yours....

I took some pix of the new and old housing, a close up of the new stator vanes and a close up of my air fitting I use on my pumps.:cheers:

Attachments

• New pump.jpg
    New pump.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 34
  • close fit.jpg
    close fit.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 30
  • New impeller.jpg
    New impeller.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 32
  • Air test fitting.jpg
    Air test fitting.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Broken Stator vanes.jpg
    Broken Stator vanes.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
Members Helping Members...That's Why I Like This Place!

Nice job Seadoosnipe... :cheers:

Karl

Wow !

Snipe is being modest on the time he has spent. It was great being able to watch him reassemble the pump. He explained everything he was doing as he went along. After watching it done I feel allot more confident about doing it myself next time. If ever needed. I posted a picture of the old impeller and the housing, , Also a picture of my monitor with snipe showing me how to remove the wear ring. Sure am glad he took the time to set up the web-cam....
P.S. Mudpie: I found and replaced the beeper,, sounds like I got the freak'n Roadrunner under there.... Thanks !

Attachments

• old impeller.JPG
    old impeller.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 30
  • stators.JPG
    stators.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 33
  • removing wear ring.JPG
    removing wear ring.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 39
Wearing ring....?

Snipe is being modest on the time he has spent. It was great being able to watch him reassemble the pump. He explained everything he was doing as he went along. After watching it done I feel allot more confident about doing it myself next time. If ever needed. I posted a picture of the old impeller and the housing, , Also a picture of my monitor with snipe showing me how to remove the wear ring. Sure am glad he took the time to set up the web-cam....
P.S. Mudpie: I found and replaced the beeper,, sounds like I got the freak'n Roadrunner under there.... Thanks !

Yeah, I saw you snappin pix. In the photo, you can't see it but the tool I'm using to remove the wearing ring was my Dremel with a steel cutting bit. I dont know exactly what it's called but it kinda looks like a drill bit with a blunt end. The screwed edges are very sharp and cuts through the wearing ring easily.

Just make sure you keep a watch on the depth because as soon as you go through the ring, you'll see two lines of seperation, that lets you know, you are now into the pump casing. So, when using power tools, be careful.

I was a bit disappointed in the needle bearing on the impeller side. The maximum tolerance is .100" and when I was watching and chatting on the web cam, I pressed a bit much. Glad I caught it when I did. I was able to reach in from the back and push back out a couple thousandths. But, I don't mind showing that there is no one perfect when it comes to doing this kind of work. It happens. You just have to minimize how often and to what degree. Hoping that only a few thousandths wont' affect the outcome.

The tolerances at the inner bearings were from .060" to .100" and my final measurement was about .101-.103. Anyone having an opinion that they think I should redo that bearing, please chim in and let me know. I hate it when I'm not exactly in tolerances but I really don't think that small amount inward, will have any longterm affect. What do you guys think?:cheers:

Finished !...

I just wanted to update this thread for Ruff Cut. I mailed his pump out the first week of December. He got it then found more problems. I had the pix he sent me but for the moment, can't find them. I'll update when I run across them.

But, my point in the update is this.... When he began to get the pump ready to put on, he found a crack alongside the bottom edge of the pump support. He made a "McGyver" fix that will probably work for an extended time but for the long run, may crack on him again. The crack appears to be caused from someone either dropping the rear of the ski to the ground while on the trailer or it was back heavy and once disconnected, the pump struck the ground pretty hard.

I'd just like to remind everyone that when you stand your ski up on end, it should be common practice to use a piece of 2X4 or some other type of material to position to the rear of your hull. You should never rest the weight of your ski on the pump. You jeopardize the integrity of your pump support, steering and reverser bucket.:cheers:

Finally: IT RUNS GREAT !

Finally got the pump installed then had to wait a couple of weeks for the whether to get good enough to make it to the lake. What better day to test it than Christmas Day. (and alone) The sun was out but it was only 39 degrees. I found about a quarter mile of shoreline that didn't have any snow on it where I could get to the lake. I tied a 30' rope to the front of the ski, then to the truck. Backed in and let it float out. Then pulled the truck forward about 5 feet. This way I was able to get in the bed of the truck then walk on the trailer and pull the ski in and hop on without getting wet. Must have been quite a site wearing my thermals, 2 t-shirts, sweat shirt, flannel jacket, and of course a life jacket. Luckily I was the only one on the lake. Touched the start and it lit right up. After about 5 minutes of warm up, grabbed some throttle and sounded great. After a little cruising,being careful to stay dry, gave it a little burst up to 58 mph. The new pump felt perfect. GREAT to be out on the water ! Thanks Snipe!
ps. Pictures next time,,, camera broke last week..

Laughing out loud!....

damn, was hoping to see some pictures of you on the lake with snow on the banks lol

I agree. Some pix on a ski, with snow around would have beenn totally awesome. Totally showing a "die-hard" Seadoo fan.....:rofl:

I'm very glad you got to test the pump. It was fun doing it will all new parts. Just sorry the stator was in such bad shape. Whoever had it before you must have rode it hard with little or no maintenance. The impeller and stator were beat up pretty bad like picking up rocks (not pebbles).

Let me know if you have any problems. Glad to have helped you out. Moreso that you were able to hook up with me via webcam to watch and learn how I do it. Now, you can give it a try yourself on the next go around. You should be good for a bare minimum of 2 seasons. With cautious riding, not coming up on the beach with the engine running or nailing the throttle in shallow water, you might get better of 10 years. I say that now after meeting you. I feel like your the kind of guy that is going to maintain and take care of it.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back