Pump Oil Alternative

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fzandome

Anybody have an alternative to the seedoo pump oil... I noticed Amsoil has one but I don't know if that will work.. Are there others out there that I can investigate?

On a seperate note, I noticed a lot of discussion concerning engine oil last summer and I was thinking if it's that critical to use the seedoo brands. How are the persons using the premixed faring out? I understand using OEM oil is probably the safe way to go, (a nickel here and a nickel there, it all adds up, especially in todays' environment, know what I mean.

Oil.......?

The Seadoo pump oil is a 75w-90w polyolester type gear oil. Which basically is a synthetic gear oil.

You do not have to use the BRP oils in maintaining your machine. The idea is that once you settle for a type or brand, you need to stick with it. Constant changing of oils that have different additives/detergents will eventually cause bearing damage.

I use the Quicksilver brand of full synthetic because I can't get to a Seadoo shop on a regular basis. If I only had to fill my tank once a year, I would drive to my local seadoo shop (1 and 1/2 to 2 hours away) and get it. But, because the chance of running out when I'm out having fun could leave my boat docked for a while till I get it, I decided to switch over a year ago.

As long as the oil you use is a synthetic, non NMMA, non TCW-3 oil (which are ashless oils) type oil, you should be fine. But, if you are using a mineral oil and have been for a while, do not change over to synthetic.

There is a saying in the automotive field on oils......."you can go from mineral to synthetic but not from synthetic to mineral." ......I just say, no matter what your changing, if your mineral, stay mineral..........:cheers:

What happens to the guys and gals that use "on the lake" premix when they get rid of their oil pumps. Are they regulated to mixing their own oils?

I found some Sea Doo mineral oil at $25 per gallon next to the lake I go to in PA. ( you have to bring your own container... bulk oil) Will probably stay on mineral until I get rid of the boat.

For the pump oil, I'm going with the AMSOIL product. Noticed it does not foam with 10% water mix. and at $10 dollars a quart, I'll get two or three years of oil changes from that.

See http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/agm.aspx for specs on the pump oil

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back