Proper oil for '01 RX-DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seado

I know that this question was asked before, but I don't know how to search for it on this forum!

According to the manual, one should only use Seadoo DI fully synthetic oil. My Seadoo dealer is out of stock now since December and I want to ride my ski! Is there any other two stroke oil similar or better than the recommended oil? Somebody I know, who races Yamaha's (what's that?) suggested Castrol TTS or its new replacement, which is also the oil he races with.

Seadoosnipe suggested Quicksilver, but in our neck of the woods (Cape Town, South Africa) it is much more expensive than the Seadoo oil!

Your advice is much appreciated.

Requirements?....

The only real requirement that Seadoo suggests in using proper oil for your engine is that it be a non NMMA, non TCW-3 ......low ash 2 stroke oil. Most oils are TCW-3 now days.....but I bet you can find it somewhere.

Good luck!..........:cheers:

Thanks for your quick reply, Seadoosnipe.

In the interim, I also read the sticky on another page about the different types of 2T oils.

Do you use a specific synthetic Quicksilver oil, or do one get only one type of Quicksilver synthetic oil?

Are you allowed to mention on this site alternative brands, e.g. Castrol TTS, Caltex XYZ, etc, which complies with the Seadoo reccommended oil? I read in the sticky that Castrol manufacture the Bombardier XPS oil. Does Castrol have a similar oil under their name brand?

Thanks again for all the informative articles provided by you boffins!

Oils....

I'm not so sure about the Castrol. I know that many users like the Amsoil brand oils. They are used widely in the racing circuit.

The QuickSilver oils available for use are the "Full Synthetic" (which is what I use), the "Synthetic blend" (which is a bit cheaper but has other additives. I don't recommend this) or the mineral oil. I would discount the mineral oil since most applications of the Rotax require synthetic.

As mentioned above, the biggest requirement for an oil choice is based on it's ash content. TCW-3 oils are ashless. This will likely harm your enigne over a period of time. You also want to stay away from oils that are NMMA type.

As for brand, it really doesn't matter if you only meet the few requirments listed above.

Most Seadoo lovers use nothing by XP-S oils. They come off the showroom floor with it so most customers are adamant about using it for the life of their skis/boats.

I run Castrol power1 TTS, which is TTS just a new name and a gold bottle and it works fine, the only reason i use it is because its what came in the ski and the previous owner has had no troubles with it(it was recommended by a seadoo mechanic), seems to meet all the requirements of seadoo, full synthetic API-TC, made for 2 strokes that rev over 10grand, though i still pay $28-L :confused:

Correct me if im wrong seadooya, it must be a full synthetic not a synthetic blend, though i could b wrong :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back