problems with rebuilt 98 gti

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddfw2003

98 gti with a 717 engine

I just had my Engine and carb rebuilt including changing out all fuel and oil lines. I also had a new manifold put on. Right now I am in the break in stage running 50:1 premixed along with what ever the injection system puts out. I have about 4 hours on the new engine

I noticed a vibration that I didnt get from my last engine

All the bolts are backing out of my tune pipe / manifold connection and then i get a hull full of water.

if I squeeze the throttle it bogs down but it I give it a little throttle and then punch it it takes off normal

top speed is 42mphs. My last engine I got 47 out of it. I opened it up for a few seconds to see what it does. I have been following the SBT break in procedure

It sounds like the engine needs to be aligned. When you installed the new engine did you align it with the pump?

Lou

Well, then I think you need to take the ski back to him and have him finish the job.

Lou

my mechanic told me to loosen the engine mounts, start the engine and let it run for a sec and then retighten and it will align

Loosening the engine mounts and running the engine will not correctly align the engine. If that is your mechanics way of aligning it I would either find a seadoo mechanic to align it the correct way or rent or buy the alignment tool and do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my mechanic told me to loosen the engine mounts, start the engine and let it run for a sec and then retighten and it will align

I am the last person to claim to be an expert on this subject, but even to me it sounds like your "marine mechanic" did not use the alignment tool with which you need to align the engine with the drive shaft. Ask to see his alignment tool, there will be a long shaft as the major part of the tool and there are pictures of the entire kit on this site as well as the means to rent one. I do not believe (but I only have old SeaDoos) there is any way to align the drive shaft to the engine and what is being suggested will attempt to bend the drive shaft to a misaligned engine and one of the worst case results would result in destroying the seal keeping the water outside the hull screwing up your entire day on/under the water.

Are you sure your "marine" mechanic is not just a United States Marine Corps tank mechanic?

Good luck

Rod

If the engine move even a 1/4 inch I suspect you will be buying a wear ring and maybe an impeller.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

Are you sure your "marine" mechanic is not just a United States Marine Corps tank mechanic?

Good luck

Rod

I think [MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION] has been outed, he was a Marine tank mechanic before he joined the USCG. You know the Coast Guard has very stringent rules, you have to be 6' tall, in case the boat sinks you can wade ashore.

Lou

I think [MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION] has been outed, he was a Marine tank mechanic before he joined the USCG. You know the Coast Guard has very stringent rules, you have to be 6' tall, in case the boat sinks you can wade ashore.

Lou

I'm really outed,,, i'd drown in 6 feet.

I swim well and I'm fantastic with my scuba gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Lou

Wow!! A banner day; I have never outed anyone before now.

Had I known coastiejoe was a former Marine I would have started picking on him sooner ... keep smiling

This comes from a retired Navy Chief Warrant Officer (30 years service).

Rod

Wow!! A banner day; I have never outed anyone before now.

Had I known coastiejoe was a former Marine I would have started picking on him sooner ... keep smiling

This comes from a retired Navy Chief Warrant Officer (30 years service).

Rod

I wasn't a former Marine. I have worked many of them though... I did 23 years in the CG and then retired.

I wasn't a former Marine. I have worked many of them though... I did 23 years in the CG and then retired.

Sorry to steal the thread, but happy we got all that worked out.

Just leaves the questions: Do I owe Lou one, or does Lou owe me one, or do Joe and I both owe Lou one?

Back to the 98 GTI. Whats the latest?

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back