please tell me how to flush out the engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

julie the great

Hi again,
I have not been able to go out yet but I want to start the engine in the drive way. What is the procedure for flushing the engine? Do you start the water first or after the engine is running etc.
thanks again,
Juile

210 mercury M2
seadoo 18 ft. challenger

Always start the engine first before you turn the water on. When your finished turn water off and then turn engine off. Dont let it run on the hose for more than a few minutes. :cheers:

that's weird

so you start engine without water, then turn off water and let it run, then turn it off? I thought i had the manual but what I found was a sales brochure hidden under the seat. Is it also true you dont even need to run the engine to flush it?

Dont let it run on the hose for more than a few minutes

why dont you let it run with the water on more than a few minutes?

Last edited by a moderator:
You got it. 1. Start engine 2. turn water on. 3. Turn water off. 4. Turn engine off.
If you let it run than a few minutes on the hose the bearings from the jet pump will overheat. Normally when in the water they are cooled by the ski sitting in the water.

You have to run the engine to flush, otherwise, water will be flooding the exhaust and then fill your cylinders up with water instead of shooting it through the exhaust system.

Mercury Jet Drive flushing procedure

Applies to 175, 200 Optimax, 210, 240EFI, and 250 Optimax.

Connect water hose to engine.
Turn water ON.
Let water run for a few minutues.
Mercury Jet Drive engines do NOT need to be started for flushing. This is debated a lot. If you want to start the engine you can. Do not rev the engine. The key is to make sure that the water is ON and flowing through the engine before you start it.
If engine is on, turn engine off while water is still running.
Turn water off.
NOTE: Make sure to put cap back on water flush connector or next time you run the boat, you may end up slowly pumping water into your bilge.

Karl

Julie, unfortunately not everyone reads what you post before responding. They see flushing and with so many posts on here it isn't possible to keep up with them all.

Head over to sea-doo.com, then under the owners center button at the top you can get to the operators guides. Or just click this link.

The procedure everyone is posting is for the ROTAX marine engines, because that is what almost all sea-doo PWC's and boats use.

Since your engine is a merc, the procedure is similar, but not identical.

Unfortunately the operators guide is very limited in the instructions for flushing. In fact it tells you to look at the M2 Jet Drive Operator's Guide, which I can't find anywhere, you may have better luck in a search.

Take a look at this site, it gives flushing instructions.

You turn the water on FIRST!!!

oh my

ok, thanks vilord. I see what you're saying. I read somewhere else that someone was told to start engine first just like someone here said to do and then i saw where another poster said they were incorrect and to start water first like an outboard. They too posted the same article you posted a link to. I just don't want to damage my engine before I get to even take the boat out. I will use the method you provided and thanks again!
julie

Popping it off in the driveway is not a bad idea before hauling it to a boat ramp and finding out the battery is dead or something.

well I was told to start it every so often

Is there a reason for flushing it out before use? I've never heard of that. So educate me.

in between uses and like the above poster said, to start it before you get to the ramp so it starts easier or faster or to be assured you have a strong battery.

Do you ever read the posts in your own thread factory 81?

On a 787 I need to pinch the hose basically and put a garden hose inside the hole in the back.....

Is that all?
THIS IS ONLY FOR SEADOO ROTAX NOT FOR MERCURY M2 ENGINES
You can hook up the hose to the seadoo and have it run for up to 5 minutes to flush it out. Connect the hose and start the seadoo. Turn on the water after it is started. Turn off the water, than shut down the seadoo. Always do it in this order.

There are two places you can connect the hose, one is next to the fuel tank filler behind the drivers seat, It has a cap and a chain attached to it so it isn’t lost. The other is at the stern in the top right corner. You can thread a hose into this fitting too but I prefer the top one, under the deck lid. This way you don’t have to pinch off any feed lines or regulate the water going to cool the engine.

Attach the garden hose, Leave the deck lid open with the blower running, so you can vent the compartment and allow the garden hose to fit properly. This also allows you to see the engine while it is running to check for cooling leaks. Start up the boat, turn on the water, in this order. If you have too much water flowing, it will run out the rear water connector and not over fill the engine with water. Be sure water is coming out the “Tell Tale”.

You can run it for about 5 minutes at IDLE which should be at about 3000 rpm’s. When you’re done, turn off the Water FIRST, then pull of the Lanyard to kill the engine. This way it won't allow water to back flow into the engine through the exhaust due to no back pressure from the engine not running. The bearings and seals on the impeller jet pump are cooled from being in the water. When it is on the trailer it doesn't have that cooling effect so they will get hot after about 5 minutes.

Karl

hi

i have seadoo speedster 215hp 2007

and i don't know if what i do is right or wrong ! but the seadoo sevice guy told me to do this :

1-Attach the hose and turn the water on.
2-start the engine for a few minutes.
3-turn engine off then remove the water hose.

is this the wrong way?!!

i've been doing this for a month now.

hi

i have seadoo speedster 215hp 2007

and i don't know if what i do is right or wrong ! but the seadoo sevice guy told me to do this :

1-Attach the hose and turn the water on.
2-start the engine for a few minutes.
3-turn engine of then remove water hose.

is this the wrong way?!!

i've been doing this for a month now.

That is definately the wrong way for a 4-stroke rotax...doing it like that can cause major damage! It should be like this:

1) Attach hose
2) Start engine
3) Turn water on (not all the way though...just a little bit)
4) Let the engine run for no longer than five minutes
5) Turn off water
6) Turn off engine
7) Remove hose

Hope that is more clear!

Matt

oh my god ! doing it like that can cause major damage! :ack:

they definately gave the wrong way to get some damage and pay them to fix it.. :(

i never read the manual and i dont have one..

this forum is my manual :)

i've talked to the service guy and he told me this:
-attach water hose and turn it on for 2 min..
- remove the hose and start engine for few seconds!!

when i told him should i start engine 1st then attach water? he told me NO u musn't run engine without water !!

i don't understand why is he giving me the opposite way!!!!

please explain the right way to me ..

Very simply, your mechanic is used to a different kind of engine.

Go to http://www.operatorsguide.brp.com/login.aspx?brands=seadoo,sportboat&lang=e&type=og
Choose sport boats on the top left
choose your year and boat.
download and *print* the PDF

Look at the flushing section.

From YOUR manual:
1. Connect a garden hose to connector located at the rear of boat on jet pump support.
**Do not open water tap yet.
2. To flush the exhaust system, start the engine then immediately open the water tap.
3. Close the water tap, then stop the engine.
CAUTION: Always close the water tap before stopping the engine.

That is definately the wrong way for a 4-stroke rotax...doing it like that can cause major damage! It should be like this:

1) Attach hose
2) Start engine
3) Turn water on (not all the way though...just a little bit)
4) Let the engine run for no longer than five minutes
5) Turn off water
6) Turn off engine
7) Remove hose

Hope that is more clear!

Matt

Above is the right way like I said before. Whoever you are talking to does not know what they are talking about....I personally would not ever bring my boat there again!

If they don't know how to do something as simple as flushing the engine ...I am sure the don't know a lot of other things as well.

Do as you wish...but anything different from what I said above will cause damage.

The older seadoo boats that had mercury engines require you to turn on the water first. I don't even think you need to start the motor on those ones though.

Matt

thanx all..

u gave me the right way..

and thanx for the user guide,, it's very usefull

i've read what you said it's same the manual

662796219.jpg

Ok. I see what yall are doing now. I was confused. If I'm just going to start mine to see if the battery is good, I just start it for like 2 seconds. sorry

You shouldn't get confused with the older 2 stroke models, the 4-tec models or the merc M2 models...They all have different ways to flush them. The only thing in common is starting it up just before you leave home to be sure it will fire at the launch, for like couple seconds.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back