1998 Seadoo Challenger Rave Valve + Carbs + Engine Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

m33ndo

Howdy All!

I just bought a 98 Seadoo Challenger. The port side engine doesn't start up. I figure with a little bit of elbow grease and some new parts, I can get it back up and running. Worst case, I'd rebuild the engine , but really hoping to avoid that if possible.

The first thing I noticed was the rave valve closest to the bow was not sliding in at all whatsoever, it was stuck and super grimy. As I hammered it out I also ended up snapping the top part of the rave bolt, so I ordered a couple new rave valves earlier today as well as all the gaskets. The other rave valve was sliding and was super easy to take out.

I ended up pulling the top part of the exhaust and the carbs to get better clearance and for cleaning purposes. The top part of the exhaust was to help access the stuck rave valve and hammer it out and also to clean the openings. The carbs was to inspect/clean/re-build if necessary while my parts and gaskets come in.

I've found good videos for each individually through this forum, so thank you all! I feel pretty good about this project.

My question is this:
Is there a way to check if the engine is "stroking" or not seized without pulling the top casing off the engine?

Please view my video of what I'm seeing

Based on your guys' experience and what you're seeing in my video, does this engine look salvageable? Or am I looking at an engine rebuild?

Thoughts? I'm trying to gauge whether I should piece it back together with fresh carbs and rave valves and if that'll get it to work or if I should keep going and potentially pull the engine.

Thanks,
Manny

Take the plastic cover off of the pto flywheel and see if you can turn the flywheel around 360 degrees. We will see what the members with experience think but I’m guessing it won’t turn over smoothly or at all, that exhaust port looks pretty rusty to me.

Take the plastic cover off of the pto flywheel and see if you can turn the flywheel around 360 degrees. We will see what the members with experience think but I’m guessing it won’t turn over smoothly or at all, that exhaust port looks pretty rusty to me.
From what I've seen, the flywheel require a special Seadoo tool to turn it. Gonna see if I can find one online today. Yeah, it's definitely rusty and grimy in there.

I bet it won’t turn…what I can see of the pistons doesn’t look good
You thinking the engine took some water in perhaps? I had to stand and stomp once on the exhaust to get it to come off. Probably the first time ever it's been taken off.

From what I've seen, the flywheel require a special Seadoo tool to turn it. Gonna see if I can find one online today. Yeah, it's definitely rusty and grimy in there.
I don’t think there’s a special tool required to turn it, at least in all the seadoo’s and the challenger I own it’s right at the back of the engine, the driveshaft slides into it

Yes, that engine has had water in it for some time.
No special tool needed to turn the engine over.

Hey guys, sorry been busy with a new born. I'm getting ready to pull the engine, but before I do that I just wanted to give an update and also show what I've done so far.

I've disconnected all the electrical components and hose/lines and I'm getting ready to pull the engine. Before I disconnect the drive shaft and remove the pump, just wanted to show how the flywheel turns. It turns, but not smoothly.

Here's the video I recorded today

What do you guys think? Engine rebuild?

Any suggestions on where I can buy a good quality complete RAVE rebuild kit for my 1997 Challenger?
I bought mine from Bay Area Power Sports Bay Area Power Sports
I didn't really see many suppliers out there and I noticed they were also on Amazon, so I went with them. I can't speak on quality yet, but they look solid from what I remember when I took them out of the packaging. Got 2 for ~$100 I think.

Back